Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4, 2010, 08:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
A good aftermarket heatsink will require removal of the motherboard. You shouldn't have any trouble with any of the popular high-end heatsinks in that case. And as long as you follow the instructions, it should go smoothly. You can always ask here if you need any more help.

A few coolers I suggest you take a look at: Coolermaster Hyper 212+, Cogage TRUE Spirit, Zalman CNPS10X Flex, Titan Fenrir, Gelid Tranquillo.
Good suggestions on the coolers.
However depending on the case he has you can get away with not removing anything because of the cutout for the Backplate on most Chassis's these days.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 4, 2010, 09:09 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Good suggestions on the coolers.
However depending on the case he has you can get away with not removing anything because of the cutout for the Backplate on most Chassis's these days.

ST
He has an Antec 300, which does not have a cutout.
Old April 4, 2010, 09:19 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The only True Spirit I would even consider using is the newer one which ships in the big blue "book" type box and not the older Halloween looking one. The new revision comes with a real backplate now and it makes the TS a decent (not great but decent) cooler.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 6, 2010, 09:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
He has an Antec 300, which does not have a cutout.
Ahh okay, just noticed the Case listed mid-way down. I stand corrected.

AkG - Thats the TS I have now right? The new revision?

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old April 6, 2010, 10:24 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Seems like all the aftermarket heatsinks require removal of the mobo. Looking inside the crowded Antec 300 I'm intimidated. Everything is working great. Maybe I'll give it to NCIX and for $50 have them do it.

What do you guys think of the Noctua NH-U12P

NCIX.com - Buy Noctua NH-U12P SE2 LGA775/1156/1366 AM2/AM3 I7/I5/PHENOM Heatpipe Cooler W/ 2XNH-P12 120MM Fans - NH-U12P SE2 In Canada.

No too sure it will fit in the Antec 300?
Old April 6, 2010, 11:05 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman44 View Post
Seems like all the aftermarket heatsinks require removal of the mobo. Looking inside the crowded Antec 300 I'm intimidated. Everything is working great. Maybe I'll give it to NCIX and for $50 have them do it.

What do you guys think of the Noctua NH-U12P

NCIX.com - Buy Noctua NH-U12P SE2 LGA775/1156/1366 AM2/AM3 I7/I5/PHENOM Heatpipe Cooler W/ 2XNH-P12 120MM Fans - NH-U12P SE2 In Canada.

No too sure it will fit in the Antec 300?

It is better in my honest Opinion to learn how to do these things on your own. It may look daunting but once you do it once or twice it becomes really easy. And These days it is the case really that dictates the removal of the MB or not. For Example my Storm Scout, and NZXT Lexa S both have a Cut out on the backside of the MB Tray so I can mount Heatsinks with backplates while leaving everything inside the case.

That being said the Noctua is a very good cooler but sometimes not worth the premium in my eyes. The ones suggested by Zero would suffice for your needs.

If you need help figuring out what you have to do for a HS swap by all means we are here to help.

ST

Old April 6, 2010, 11:14 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
It will fit in the 300. As for the rest, see ST's comments.
Old April 6, 2010, 11:42 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Before you waste your money, it's really not that difficult. I'm local to you, so if you run into difficulties feel free to PM me for help.
Old April 6, 2010, 02:39 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for the advice