Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2010, 03:37 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Default Overclocking experience on eVGA X58 SLI LE mobo

I thought this may help a few people out there with a similar config:

I have a Core i7 920 D0 stepping, 9GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 RAM, Radeon 5870 1GB and a Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.B cooler installed. From the stock clocks and stock cooling I was able to enable (lol) Dummy O.C., which brought me up to 3.35GHz from the stock 2.66GHz. A great option for people scared to overclock, but naturally I wanted more bang for my buck.

I bought the X58 SLI LE for the sole reason that I wanted to overclock, so I bought the Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.B (amazing cooler by the way, fits the motherboard any which way), and enthusiastically went willy nilly upping my clocks.

I referred a lot to shansmi's overclocking guide over in the eVGA forums (How to Overclock the I7 (Ported)), very in-detail and extremely helpful, but my problem came when I saw that the chips shansmi were using were C0 stepping, whereas the newer Core i7 920's use the D0 stepping, therefore not needing such a high voltage requirement.

I had all my clocks set up but the computer just wouldn't boot, I had adjusted all my voltages to reasonable levels (1.35vcore) and my clock speed was going to be around 3.7GHz, but again, just wouldn't do it. When it did manage to boot, prime95 almost immediately failed time and time again. I had read multiple stories of people reaching 3.8GHz with no problem on C0 stepping, so I figured I got a hella bad example of a D0 chip, OR something was up with the settings I put in place.

After a LOT of trial and error, (and believe me, there were a LOT of errors) I had my processor up and running at just shy of 4GHz on air cooling, at load hitting around 58 degrees celsius running prime95 after a full 24 hour run. How did I attain this with the D0 stepping though? I lowered my voltages...

...Wait a sec... You lowered them you say? I found it strange as well, but with the new D0 stepping you shouldn't have to up your vcore over 1.29v to achieve 4GHz.

My settings on my mobo (remember, I have an X58 3xSLI LE, so if you have the regular SLI or classified you're golden) are exactly as follows (as it shows in the bios):

CPU clock - (20x)
CPU Host Freq. (187)
CPU Uncore (17x)

Mem Feature

Your optimal settings, I have XMP profile on my RAM, so I went with that and set the ratio to 2:8

Voltage Control

WITHOUT VDROOP
CPU Vcore (1.28125)
CPU VTT (+125)
CPU PLL (1.825)
all others either default or auto

CPU Feature

Speedstep disabled
Turbo ON
CxE disabled
Execute disable bit disabled
Virtualization disabled
QPI Freq. 4.8GT/s

As per usual, don't do this and when your computer gets fried, post and say I killed it . I merely am providing you with the settings that helped me achieve a stable, 67% overclock on my system. Remember, I have an aftermarket CPU cooler that ranks among the top 5, so don't think you can achieve this on stock cooling by any means. Stock cooling I wouldn't go beyond 3.4GHz (just dummy o.c. it).

Happy overclocking!

Antec Three Hundred Gamer Case
Intel Core-i5 3570k at 4GHz
Asus P8Z68M-PRO
12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600
Diamond Radeon 5870 1GB
500GB Seagate HDD 64MB Cache
Silverstone 500w Silent
Old April 1, 2010, 04:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs