Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 31, 2010, 03:04 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Upcoming 6 core cpu with BC2...

So i thought I'd sign up at HWC today after always browsing the site and much to my surprise it said i already did that awhile ago with the same email.

I recently purchased BC2 since I've been playing MW2 on my brothers 360 (Don't really have a beef with no dedicated servers btw) and I'm shocked at how much better it is, I play at 1680x1050 with low shadows and everything on medium with Vsync ON and of course HBAO off, Runs very playable for the most part but i'm pretty sure FRAPS would just make it feel slow...This is the one game since original Crysis I've been wanting to upgrade for and I'm looking forward to getting a 5850 (Nvidia fan though) and Phenom 945 but after seeing the upcoming 6 core CPU from AMD it's got me wondering if it's gonna be faster then 4 cores?
Old March 31, 2010, 03:20 PM
Banned
F@H

if it can take advantage of all six cores, yes.
Old March 31, 2010, 03:56 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I haven't noticed BC2 using more than one core when I've been playing it, so I doubt a 6-core CPU will make a difference outside of perhaps higher clock speeds. You're far more GPU-limited than CPU-limited; a better video card would be a much more useful upgrade if better gaming performance is what you're after.
Old March 31, 2010, 04:55 PM
MVP

My System Specs

weird, i get equal load on all 8 threads when playing bfbc2
Old March 31, 2010, 04:57 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Let me rephrase that: I haven't noticed BC2 using more than one core's worth of power while playing. The OS will balance the load across all the cores, but the game really isn't that CPU-intensive.
Old March 31, 2010, 05:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

A GPU upgrade would be better as you already have a powerful enough CPU. Though it wouldn't hurt to upgrade both.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old March 31, 2010, 07:25 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
A GPU upgrade would be better as you already have a powerful enough CPU. Though it wouldn't hurt to upgrade both.
Thank you all for the help so far.

Would you say I'd see the biggest boost in going for the best card i can then instead of a 5850 and quad processor?

I care about minimum frames more than max and averages and thought a quad processor would help in BC2 when there's a lot of action going on and stuff blowing up everywhere...

Last edited by abusedsubstance; March 31, 2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old March 31, 2010, 07:44 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

i just upgraded from a dual core to a quad core, and i noticed a nice difference in load times and overall game performance.

My Boinc Stats
Old March 31, 2010, 07:47 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by abusedsubstance View Post

Would you say I'd see the biggest boost in going for the best card i can then instead of a 5850 and quad processor?

I care about minimum frames more than max and averages and thought a quad processor would help in BC2 when there's a lot of action going on and stuff blowing up everywhere...
I would say that you'd probably see a bigger boost from a better video card, but at the same time, even a 5850 would be more than enough to run BC2 maxed out at your monitor's native resolution. If I were in your position, I'd probably go for a CPU and GPU upgrade.
Old March 31, 2010, 08:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by abusedsubstance View Post

Well if you are going for a quad and a 5850 then go for that as you will get a nice upgrade. If it was the option of either a quad or 5850 I would get the 5850 but since you can get both you should be happy with the extra performance. You will be able to run this game max with AA.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."