Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27, 2010, 04:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Updated: My CPU Is Making Noise

My CPU is Making Noise?!? - [H]ard|Forum

My situation is similar to the above thread here. For some reason, my sister's computer, most likely the CPU, makes some weird noise when under load, in the BIOS, or anything like that. As the [H] thread said, it's also possible that it's caused by said coils, but I got no idea what coils they're talking about. Is there anyway to stop this? It's very annoying, though it is a good way to tell if the computer is folding or not without having to turn on the monitor to check. The noise is getting louder as well, and has existed since day 1.

System specs are:

ASUS M2N-E (PoS)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ @ 2.65Ghz
OCZ + Patriot 4GB DDR2 RAM
ATI X850XT
OCZ StealthXStream 500W

Updated: Going to sell the ASUS M2N-E. About how much is it worth? I'm thinking maybe $20?

Last edited by geokilla; April 27, 2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old March 27, 2010, 05:14 PM
Banned
F@H

its the mobo for sure, sometimes the cards can fizz as well.
Old March 27, 2010, 05:22 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah its the mobo. I had the M2N-Deluxe. Biggest POS I ever owned. Most likely its the coils. There are some things to do to fix the noise (like hot glueing the copper coils) but the easiest fix I found....was replace the mobo.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 27, 2010, 05:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Motherboard... I feared that as it's an AM2 socket, and those motherboards are pretty hard to find now for cheap.

NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 ATX AM2+/AM3 AMD770 PCI-E16 2PCI SATA2 RAID 1394 HD Sound GBLAN Motherboard - GA-MA770-UD3 In Canada.

Seems to be the best I can get if I switch only the motherboard. But do we really want to do that?
Old March 27, 2010, 05:41 PM
Banned
F@H

wasnt am2+ backwards compatible? but think twice before the 'upgrade'
Old March 27, 2010, 05:49 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Ok, if you ARE going to upgrade (and thus no harm if things go bad) the first thing I would do is backup all your data. THEN stress the hell out of your system. Use prime95 or other similar tools. Pop the cover off your side pannel and listen to where the noise is coming from. Most likely it is a big copper coil vibrating. Get Ye old hot glue gun out. Let the hot glue gun warm up. Power down the system and apply a small amount of glue on the copper of the offending coil. Let it cool and harden. Reboot. Stress the system. See if the noise is gone. If it is. Start saving up for a new mobo and or sys as this is a short to mid term solution only and NOT a permanent fix (it should last a long while...but you never know).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 27, 2010, 05:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Ok, if you ARE going to upgrade (and thus no harm if things go bad) the first thing I would do is backup all your data. THEN stress the hell out of your system. Use prime95 or other similar tools. Pop the cover off your side pannel and listen to where the noise is coming from. Most likely it is a big copper coil vibrating. Get Ye old hot glue gun out. Let the hot glue gun warm up. Power down the system and apply a small amount of glue on the copper of the offending coil. Let it cool and harden. Reboot. Stress the system. See if the noise is gone. If it is. Start saving up for a new mobo and or sys as this is a short to mid term solution only and NOT a permanent fix (it should last a long while...but you never know).
No glue gun so that requires me going to the dollar star haha. I'll either leave it as is or get another motherboard when we get the case.

The side panel was off earlier, and when I put my ear to it during it was folding, there was definitely a sound in the CPU area. I'm not sure which coil it'd be coming from as I didn't know about this till now. I will however take the temporary fix into consideration. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
wasnt am2+ backwards compatible? but think twice before the 'upgrade'
AM2+ is backwards compatible, but a lot of deals are for AM3 now. I'm looking at AM2 mobos with integrated graphics right now. My sister doesn't need that X850XT. The X850XT is un-needed heat and power hog. If only there were ATX motherboards that also have integrated graphics. So far, I can't seem to find any.
Old March 27, 2010, 06:10 PM
Banned
F@H

there are. look into giga boards. am2+ plenty. bout 100 bucks tax in. but be sure this is the way you want to go before changing your mind in 1 month or so
Old March 27, 2010, 06:31 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

You can get the Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H motherboard. It's an AM2+ socket and can run AM3 CPUs plus it has integrated graphics roughly equivalent to a Radeon 3450 video card.

Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 256GB Samsung 850 Pro | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 4GB GTX 970 Windforce | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old March 27, 2010, 07:01 PM
Banned
F@H

its actually called a 4200. can play 1080p nicely :)