Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2010, 02:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default MSI floats Lead Balloon.......

RTFM-chip details reveiled!

Looks like the folks over at MSI are getting tired of dealing with their customers......

The original post on this went out to all members of the MSI forums, and I honestly couldn't believe it. Had to check several times to verify that it was a legitimate mail as I couldn't believe what it was suggesting WRT enthusiasts who use their boards.....

I'd thought that recent boards put out by them indicated a return to the mainstream, but with an attitude like that towards their user base, I guess they should just stick to providing motherboards to OEM producers which don't have any OC capabilities.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old March 25, 2010, 03:09 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
RTFM-chip details reveiled!

Looks like the folks over at MSI are getting tired of dealing with their customers......

The original post on this went out to all members of the MSI forums, and I honestly couldn't believe it. Had to check several times to verify that it was a legitimate mail as I couldn't believe what it was suggesting WRT enthusiasts who use their boards.....

I'd thought that recent boards put out by them indicated a return to the mainstream, but with an attitude like that towards their user base, I guess they should just stick to providing motherboards to OEM producers which don't have any OC capabilities.
You know I always found the atmosphere on the MSI forums to be very unhelpful (I've always found my answers for my motherboard elsewhere), but this...
Old March 25, 2010, 03:11 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Did MSI hire angry games? LOL

A mass email to all members to bring them in for this? I seriously dont know what they are thinking allowing that thread to remain up.
Old March 25, 2010, 03:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Looks like it's a "joke", but hell.... what a way to drop your customer base in less than 500 words.

Just in case the thread gets dropped, here's the text of the email/post.

Quote:
The MSI-forum and MSI-support team are fed-up with explaining you what can be found in the manual.
I mean, come on, how hard is it to read a manual?

They are printed on paper so you see them.

We have been talking to MSI for a couple of years and came up with a solution.
It has been implemented on a few boards for some time and with big success.
It had various names, like CoreCenter (1st gathering tool) upto DrMOS (fully automatic)

Some of you noticed because Windows wanted you to install a driver, but you couldn't find the manufacturer.
On AMD systems this was called the Away-driver.

What you didn't know is this, this driver activates the RTFM-chip. (Re-Turn inFormation to Manufacturer chip)
It means it can detect if you read a manual as well stores the parameters you have set in the BIOS.
As soon as you start Windows we are informed about your settings and manual readings.

As we have been monitoring peoples behavior for some time and combined those with the RMA information from returned boards.
At the same time monitoring questions on the forum and matched the IP's.
We have made a discovery.

A lot of RMA is unneeded and unwanted, many happens due to user mistakes, numbers show that 90% of the RMA is OC people killing boards and
newbies connecting the wrong connectors or insert parts that should not be inserted.
Or simply forget to remove standoffs or CPU-power.
MSI plans on tackles those numbers, and the RTFM-chip will give a readout of what you have done when it did post or attempted to post!

Checking on you isn't new, Homeland-security done this ever you installed XP-SP3 or above, but their info in encrypted so useless to MSI.
So MSI decided to ban people from support, RMA and the forum who has done the damage themselves or didn't read the manual the first of next month.
We know who you are, and we have gathered enough information via our RTFM-chip.

The only question is, should MSI continue to do this? As some information is real bad.
Will this hurt your relation towards MSI products?

Please let us know, as we have to talk to MSI management the first of next month and make them decide what to do with the information.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old March 25, 2010, 03:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Did MSI hire angry games? LOL

A mass email to all members to bring them in for this? I seriously dont know what they are thinking allowing that thread to remain up.
Heh.... I was wondering exactly the same thing..... ;0

That said, even if it is a joke, it's an extremely stupid one, especially since it can't be tied directly to april fool's day.

Old March 25, 2010, 03:19 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Even if it is a joke, it is very unprofessional and a ton of people are obviously pissed.
Old March 25, 2010, 03:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What kind of joke is that? lol.
Old March 25, 2010, 03:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think it is a rogue admin, Bas seems to be the only one posting anything and his responses are childish at best. I don't think this is MSI's doing at all.
Old March 25, 2010, 03:26 PM
Rookie

Bad joke? Someone who's about to get fired by MSI? lol

RTFM is obviously a play on its more well-known acronym. How would they know whether you've read the manual, when the manual is a hard-copy? Makes no sense.
Old March 25, 2010, 03:26 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Heh.... I was wondering exactly the same thing..... ;0

That said, even if it is a joke, it's an extremely stupid one, especially since it can't be tied directly to april fool's day.
Well, sort of I guess if you look at him saying it'll start on the first of next month. Still, MSI Forums has a reputation for being unhelpful so reinforcing it like this is silly. This is just bad.