Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 23, 2010, 04:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default New Motherboard...

I currently have a 680i LT with Enzotech NB and SB heatsinks and I want to move to a new motherboard, mostly for looks.

I have been looking at 780i and P45/X48 boards, particularity the EVGA 780i and the Asus Maximus Formula II. I can get the Maximus Formula II for $160 used off the forums, or a 780i with an EK NB block, Enzotech SB heatsink, and a Thermalright MOSFET cooler for ~$160 (~$80 + my mobo, trade).

I can get $80+ for my current mobo. So which is the better option? Overclocking and looks are all I really care about :P

And when I buy such a new motherboard, how will it work with windows? I have heard I should uninstall all current drivers right before I install the new one, and delete some sort of EREG(?) file in the registry (removes the "hardware snapshot" from when you first installed windows). I have also been told to run the SYSPREP tool, would that do me any good? I would love to back up but I don't have an external drive (the most I have is a 16GB USB stick and my 80GB laptop HDD).

Should I go out and buy an external drive? Should I back up all I can onto the USB stick and go for it? What does HWC suggest?
Old March 23, 2010, 04:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Good to hear your 680i has made it this long Sushi. I would steer yourself to something like a Gigabyte P45 chipset board (New from NCIX) before i would recomend a 780i board. They were famed for memory controllers failing among other quirks that might make your upgrade not worthwhile. Again YMMV but I'd steer clear of that nVidia Chipset and head towards something Intel.

Best Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 23, 2010, 05:05 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

A 780i board would be just as crap as your 680i board. Go with the Maximus if it's between those two options.
Old March 23, 2010, 05:15 PM
Banned
F@H

I have a cheap ep-45 from Gigabyte that OC like hell here. ( not for sale )
Old March 23, 2010, 05:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Ya P-45 Gigabytes are very nice MB indeed. I had a few of those and were always an happy camper, as for looks well that's a matter of taste...

Old March 23, 2010, 07:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm pretty set on a black PCB with red or green or something like that, I actually like my 680i mobo (never gave me any problems) but it is ugly bland green and tan PCI slots. I like the looks of the Maximus a bit more than the 780i but the 780i has blocks and coolers... I do like that, it should be able to clock a bit better than the Maximus formula.
Old March 23, 2010, 08:44 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

The Maximus II Formula is a better board for overclocking than any 780i board. I can tell you that with certainty. In fact, the Maximus II is widely known as the best LGA775 motherboard for overclocking.
Old March 24, 2010, 05:12 PM
MVP

My System Specs

If you want some extra super duper colourful MB, I know that DFI had their product in various shades of bright pattern...

Old March 24, 2010, 05:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

That or you find yourself a Foxxcon Black Ops.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 24, 2010, 05:42 PM
Banned
F@H

miracle indeed, for some. love the oc capabilities. if its not dead dont invest more money. keep it.