Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 21, 2010, 12:58 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default BIOS Flashing

Hey folks,

I have just bought this MB M4A89GTD (so far the 555 seems to be firing on all cores). The BiOS version on this board is 0307. I went to ASUS site and noticed that a newer version is available, version 0402. The funny this is, through the updater utility, from windows, It won't let me flash BIOS, it says that the image is not compatible ? I could probably do it from a tumbdrive within the BIOS but I am not reassured. It might allow me to flash it but it doesn't mean that I won't have problems afterwards.

What's are your takes on this ?

Last edited by Wurmer; March 22, 2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old March 21, 2010, 01:19 PM
Banned
F@H

dont mess with it unless you do need it
Old March 21, 2010, 02:20 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well I think I might have to since there seems to be a few quirks but anyways, I've tried and it wont let me flash the BIOS using Easy Flash within the bios, the message is the same and it's not compatible.....

Last edited by Wurmer; March 22, 2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old March 21, 2010, 02:30 PM
Banned
F@H

out of curiosity, on the pcb itself what is written? how about everest, what does it say about it?
Old March 21, 2010, 02:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Asus autoflash utility never ever works lol. Does it flake it out if you manually update the bios vs updating via the internet? , if so then you prob dont have the right bin. As dangtx mentioned check your pcb to verify board revision as the bins could be entirely different even amongst the same board models.

Not sure why we still have the " flashing the bios is dangerous" rhetoric, its very simple to now even for a noob. I do all of my bios updating now via windows without incident. Last incident I had with a bios flash gone wrong was my MSI K7N-Delta2 LSR (best socket A board ever made in my opinion) and that was a fudgeup from MSI themselves.
Old March 21, 2010, 03:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well I have done BIOS flashing countless of times, so I am not afraid of doing so. I don't know about ASUS but Gigabytes have a nice flashing software that works perfectly well within the Windows environment. I will check the PCB but what about everest, is it supposed to tell me something about my MB, I am not familiar with that software...

Old March 21, 2010, 03:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I was just going to say that i up until resent only flashed from the bios but in the last year all my flash's have been done in the os when there need ( i always update my computer's bios fro OC not clients unless needed) but most boards have gigabyte/asus. jmo
Old March 21, 2010, 06:24 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I went to the Canadian Asus site and there isn't any newer version of the Bios, it might explain what I am running into right now, will see later. Got another question here, It seems that my 555 can work on 4 cores, what can be done to test the stability of the cores ? running prime for a couple of hours ? I haven't OC anything yet. CPU-Z recognize it as a Phenom 4x.

Old March 21, 2010, 07:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

so try running prime at stock voltage and see if it's ok i never gone for a unlocked core but have heard that some times a little voltage jump is need but only one way to find out.