Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   Intel Core i7-980X Gulftown Processor Review Comment Thread (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/29736-intel-core-i7-980x-gulftown-processor-review-comment-thread.html)

SKYMTL March 10, 2010 08:59 PM

Intel Core i7-980X Gulftown Processor Review Comment Thread

It has been a long time coming. Intel's six core processors have been talked about since the Nehalem architecture was first introduced and with the Core i7 980X, Gulftown has finally seen the light of day. Naturally, this new processor is expensive but with six physical cores and 12 threads, can it perform up to everyone's expectations?

[ Read full article ]

r0bc March 10, 2010 09:16 PM

Cool can't wait to read.....I may lose a wife but I'm going to gain two cores and a unlocked multiplier.

jcmaz March 10, 2010 09:17 PM

Holy Crap...

That was amazing! Good job Sky.

AMD, bring on the 6 Cores!!!

FlyingFish March 10, 2010 09:21 PM

Time to mortgage the dog and pick up one of these!

SKYMTL March 10, 2010 09:26 PM

MAC's article. Not mine. ;)

ZZLEE March 10, 2010 09:35 PM

Wants it

Saving the pennys :thumb:

Mavvens March 10, 2010 10:22 PM

re

Quote:

The Core i7-980X took first place in 14 of our 16 real-life applications and games, falling behind the equally-clocked i7-975 once, and then losing to the Phenom II X4 in quirky Far Cry 2.
Hi there!
That quote really bug me...
The 980X win in many benchmark, but in many one, by a small margin.

That disappoint me a little, because hardware evolve way too fast for the programmers...

What do I conclude, is that for the mainstream it is not a revolution, but for the professional market or even the enthusiast it is! It's 50/50 for me.

At least, these will help 64 bits programmer to test theirs applications, with isn't bad at all! We could say that this thing will last for a loooonng time before an upgrade!

;)

MAC March 10, 2010 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavvens (Post 345334)
Hi there!
That quote really bug me...
The 980X win in many benchmark, but in many one, by a small margin.

That disappoint me a little, because hardware evolve way too fast for the programmers...

I agree, software is definitely lagging behind the hardware. The i7-980X has huge reserves of untapped performance, as do all the eight-thread Core i7's.

Quote:

We could say that this thing will last for a loooonng time before an upgrade!
Absolutely. I think this is one of those rare PC components that will still offer mainstream-like performance 3 years from now.

MonsterSound March 10, 2010 10:41 PM

ThnX for the Great review MAC! :thumb:
Intel is really making strides in controlling power consumption and heat while increasing cores.
And so it overclocks to boot.
I can't wait until they get to 32nm on more affordable i7 chips.

Zero82z March 10, 2010 10:42 PM

...why don't you send that chip here so I can run a few folding benchmarks on it? :ph34r: