Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 12, 2010, 06:58 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Which is about as useful to us as pulling numbers out of a hat ;).
Haha yeah I know, I was just excited to see some benches for this chip and folding. There is a demand for a folding benchmark though, and some people seem inclined to produce them. I would certainly do one and give it to HWC if I knew how to.

There is a small discussion of this chip on the folding forums right now:
Folding Forum • View topic - What about an i7 980X ?

Seems that a floating point benchmark would be the best indicator of folding performance for comparitive purposes (or that seems to be the consensus by some sage folders in that thread).

Slightly off topic; one troubling note I did see in there, is that AMD is placing less emphasis on floating point performance, and will focus on integer calculations (leaving floating point calculations to GPUs...never heard of this).
Fold for team #54196
Old March 12, 2010, 07:46 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
There is a demand for a folding benchmark though, and some people seem inclined to produce them. I would certainly do one and give it to HWC if I knew how to.
I already have a great folding benchmark; it's called the SMP client. The best way to see how well a CPU or GPU will fold is to actually fold with it.
Old March 12, 2010, 10:09 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
I already have a great folding benchmark; it's called the SMP client. The best way to see how well a CPU or GPU will fold is to actually fold with it.
You don't think an easy folding benchmark app would lead to more reviewers including this info in their reviews?
Fold for team #54196
Old March 12, 2010, 10:24 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
You don't think an easy folding benchmark app would lead to more reviewers including this info in their reviews?
yup. altough it would need to have a number of different wu's included.
Old March 12, 2010, 10:30 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
yup. altough it would need to have a number of different wu's included.
Not really. I think the folding community would be happy as long as the same smp WU was used across all the cpus represented in a graph for comparison.
Fold for team #54196
Old March 12, 2010, 10:43 AM
Banned
F@H

you think that would be enough? i bet some wu's do better on some hardware than others
Old March 12, 2010, 11:43 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I don't think there's an effective way to benchmark F@H period outside of actually running some units, especially with SMP2 and -bigadv out there. It's not that hard to set up the Windows SMP client to run SMP2 units anyway.
Old March 12, 2010, 12:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I don't think there's an effective way to benchmark F@H period outside of actually running some units, especially with SMP2 and -bigadv out there. It's not that hard to set up the Windows SMP client to run SMP2 units anyway.
The way I benchmarked WU's for certain cards was recorded what each one gave me. Did a fixed number of each and took an average of each kind from that.
Then I combined the Averages of each WU type and Created a General Average Total for the GPU.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 12, 2010, 06:13 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Anyone no when are we going to be able to order these?

Old March 13, 2010, 12:59 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The retailers are still under NDA,I thought it was launched just not shipping for a couple weeks.