Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 11, 2010, 04:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellini View Post
ST, I can afford this... well I could, if I wanted to. And what I'm saying is, I don't want to. I was hoping that, clock for clock, it would be faster than what I already have, but it's not. It's two extra cores, that's it. It's like adding two extra wheels to a car that is never going to need them; at least, for almost everyone who's going to buy that car, and then telling them that the two extra wheels tripled the price of the car. Absolutely shameful.

Just out of curiosity , at what point in time did I say "you mikellini" cannot afford this.

I was talking about myself.

Secondly clock speed is nice but I also have use for 6 cores if fesiable. Would be better than multiple rack mounts with quads. 2 of these vs 3 of those saves on a lot of the issues (Work related, not personal use).

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 11, 2010, 04:34 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Just out of curiosity , at what point in time did I say "you mikellini" cannot afford this.).

it was Zero , and the way Mikellini say the people who will buy this CPU are stupid... I will give a +1 to Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
You can cut the BS, because we all know that if you could afford one, you'd be getting it too.
Old March 11, 2010, 04:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

My bad

And the argument that you're basically getting the two extra cores for free... OK. I get that. But, and this has already been mentioned before, by forcing anyone who wants a 6-core i7 to buy EE, Intel is not only robbing you, but telling you it's a good deal. Whether or not someone buys this, that's up to them. EE chips are always going to be overpriced; my point is that Gulftown processors are not an improvement on Bloomfield. At least, D0 stepping Bloomfield anyway. Clock for clock, they're the same, and from what I've read around the net, they don't overclock any better. Sure, the reduced heat is an improvement, but it's only a side-effect of 32 nm. What consumers should have a right to expect is that when you release new tech, it should actually be better than what's currently available. This isn't any better than the rebadging that NVIDIA does. In fact, it's worse in my opinion.
Old March 11, 2010, 05:25 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
by forcing anyone who wants a 6-core i7 to buy EE, Intel is not only robbing you, but telling you it's a good deal...
Intel will produce cheaper version of the 6 cores, but as usally their first new baby is a EE, or a Xeon, like the 8 cores, so people who have cash buy it, other who want something more affordable just wait.

so if you can't afford one, can you stop to acuse intel of all the bad thing happen in the world, and respect peoples who wants to buy one. As for Nvidia, you again in the ditch Intel deliver the good in time, and do not brag anyone with it

Last edited by MarkOne; March 11, 2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old March 11, 2010, 05:45 PM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
This isn't any better than the rebadging that NVIDIA does. In fact, it's worse in my opinion.
Except for the fact that this product brings a tangible 50% performance gain in the workloads that it was actually designed for.
Old March 11, 2010, 06:30 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Here is the performance of this chip, without the smp flag courtesy of the Tech Report:

Intel's Core i7-980X Extreme processor - The Tech Report - Page 14

Seems notfred has a benchmarking utility, but he has not updated it for smp.
Fold for team #54196
Old March 11, 2010, 09:01 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Here is the performance of this chip, without the smp flag courtesy of the Tech Report:
Which is about as useful to us as pulling numbers out of a hat ;).
Old March 11, 2010, 09:31 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Which is about as useful to us as pulling numbers out of a hat ;).

well it does depend on the wu, so if they used the same wu etc on all the chips, yeah it gives you an idea
Old March 11, 2010, 10:03 PM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavvens View Post
I could be nice to see some benchmark that use these new instructions...

Sure, I'll do a little extra benchmarking and post the results.
Old March 11, 2010, 10:19 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
well it does depend on the wu, so if they used the same wu etc on all the chips, yeah it gives you an idea
They used the uniprocessor client to benchmark with, which is pointless since anybody who will use one of these for folding is going to be running SMP2 or -bigadv. Since both of those use the bonus system which depends on how early you submit the workunit, you can't extrapolate PPD based on non-bonus units.