Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 10, 2010, 07:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Core Unlock Switch?

Hey HWC,

Does the Core Unlock switch/function on the newer 890 Asus/Asrock/Gigabyte mobos guarantee unlocking of the 4th core or is it just a marketing thing for simplifying the ACC/Hybrid function?

-Plato
Old March 10, 2010, 08:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd say just marketing, since some of the cores are actually broken in some quad cores sold as dual/triple core processors. (For example, a Phenom II x2 may have 4 physical cores, but 2 are broken.)
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old March 11, 2010, 01:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I guess the same as lpfan4ever
Old March 11, 2010, 05:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If the Cores actually work yes, as well it will also feature the ability to 'Unlock' the extra L3 cache if its usable say on like an X4 810 that only has 6MB of L3 that feature will potentially allow all 8MB to be used.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 11, 2010, 05:58 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Core unlocking has been locked out on the 890 chipset on a hardware level. As such, the ASUS switch is a heck of alot more than a marketing tool.
Old March 12, 2010, 04:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Core unlocking has been locked out on the 890 chipset on a hardware level. As such, the ASUS switch is a heck of alot more than a marketing tool.
Totally agree. Without the switch, you can't even unlock the cores at all. So it's there for more than just marketing! :)
Old March 12, 2010, 06:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Why'd AMD do that with the 890 chipsets? I'm going to guess to keep cheap CPUs with cheap motherboards and expensive CPUs with expensive motherboards so consumers won't buy cheap CPUs with expensive motherboards. But since manufacturers like ASUS and Gigabyte are implementing this switch, that'd somewhat contradict what I just said...
Old March 12, 2010, 06:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Why'd AMD do that with the 890 chipsets? I'm going to guess to keep cheap CPUs with cheap motherboards and expensive CPUs with expensive motherboards so consumers won't buy cheap CPUs with expensive motherboards. But since manufacturers like ASUS and Gigabyte are implementing this switch, that'd somewhat contradict what I just said...
What it is Geokilla, is a Legal Loophole that we can thank the likes of ASUS, GB, MSI (?) for doing. Since ACC is not allowed in the new chipsets this dandy little piece of hardware technically complies with AMD's demands while not getting the board partners in any hot water.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 12, 2010, 07:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't think we need the "unlock" switch anymore, we just need some decently priced hexa cores
Old March 13, 2010, 07:35 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Why'd AMD do that with the 890 chipsets?
Because they want people with quad-core AMD chips to actually pay quad-core prices.