Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old March 10, 2010, 02:30 PM
lcdguy's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: An undisclosed location
Posts: 2,048
Default upgrade time

I'd like some thoughts on this. should i upgrade my computer (i have a fiarly substansial refund coming my way). My current loadout.

Intel E8400
8GB PC-6400
320GB Seagate 7200.9
Intel P5Q Pro
XFX Ati radeon HD 4890 1GB
LG DVDRW
Corsair 550W PSU

CPU power and Ram are number 1 priority. Storage is secondary (i plan on using bits from my current rig for my 20 drive nas.)

I was thinking about the following.

Core I7 920 (what ever is the best bang for your buck i&
12GB Ram Min
80 or 120GB SSD Boot Drive
1TB Storage (for games and such)
Blu-ray Drive
Windows 7 Professional
Asus Mobo (been drooling over the workstation boards)
PSU 500-700W Modular (probably corsair)

I would bring the following parts over.

Antec P183 Case
XFX HD4890

opinions ?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old March 10, 2010, 03:34 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

what will you do with it? intel's i7 is best performing, but at a price. for the same price of the said cpu you can get a nice am3 cpu/mobo combo, even cheaper.




Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdguy View Post
I'd like some thoughts on this. should i upgrade my computer (i have a fiarly substansial refund coming my way). My current loadout.

Intel E8400
8GB PC-6400
320GB Seagate 7200.9
Intel P5Q Pro
XFX Ati radeon HD 4890 1GB
LG DVDRW
Corsair 550W PSU

CPU power and Ram are number 1 priority. Storage is secondary (i plan on using bits from my current rig for my 20 drive nas.)

I was thinking about the following.

Core I7 920 (what ever is the best bang for your buck i&
12GB Ram Min
80 or 120GB SSD Boot Drive
1TB Storage (for games and such)
Blu-ray Drive
Windows 7 Professional
Asus Mobo (been drooling over the workstation boards)
PSU 500-700W Modular (probably corsair)

I would bring the following parts over.

Antec P183 Case
XFX HD4890

opinions ?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old March 10, 2010, 03:57 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

I'd personally wait for Gulftown and Fermi at this point if you really want to upgrade. Your current system is still pretty good, so unless you're having performance troubles, I don't see any urgent need for an upgrade.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old March 10, 2010, 05:45 PM
lcdguy's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: An undisclosed location
Posts: 2,048
Default

no, no performance issues. And i can wait since i don't have the refund money yet i just know how much to expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
what will you do with it? intel's i7 is best performing, but at a price. for the same price of the said cpu you can get a nice am3 cpu/mobo combo, even cheaper.
Mostly video encoding (converting my movie collection to a digital format), folding, and gaming. I am in love with the asus P6T6 WS board i know it's expensive but damn it looks lovely and overkill which will fit nicely with my 30" monitor, atom network monitoring server and 20 drive NAS.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old March 10, 2010, 06:09 PM
MarkOne's Avatar
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chertsey 60 KM north of Montreal
Posts: 4,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
I'd personally wait for Gulftown and Fermi at this point if you really want to upgrade. Your current system is still pretty good, so unless you're having performance troubles, I don't see any urgent need for an upgrade.

funny the time I was waiting ofr my cooling parts for my i5-750 , I use my e8400, and I don't notice degradation in performances ,
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old March 10, 2010, 07:23 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 5,415

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
funny the time I was waiting ofr my cooling parts for my i5-750 , I use my e8400, and I don't notice degradation in performances ,
In a lot of things, there is no noticeable difference. It all depends on what you're doing.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old March 10, 2010, 08:34 PM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

hmm....xeon quad? bout 250-260 bucks. cheaper than a 860, full hyper threading on.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old March 11, 2010, 06:42 AM
lcdguy's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: An undisclosed location
Posts: 2,048
Default

won't i need a xeon board as well as ecc registered ram ?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old March 11, 2010, 08:36 AM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdguy View Post
won't i need a xeon board as well as ecc registered ram ?
no the 1156 xeons drop right in.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrade time - what to keep?? Urotsukidoji New Builds 69 November 20, 2008 04:56 PM
Harddrive upgrade time Hillsdale Storage 14 September 3, 2008 06:14 AM
It's time to upgrade... 3.0charlie New Builds 9 July 4, 2008 08:43 PM
Time to Upgrade Again Beermaster CPU's and Motherboards 2 April 23, 2008 10:25 AM
time to upgrade monsterp CPU's and Motherboards 6 October 30, 2007 09:04 PM