Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 9, 2010, 11:51 PM
Top Prospect

Question New?Used Socket 775 CPU help?

I am really lost in terms of what is good these days in the CPU department? I have been reading that the I5 is a very good budget CPU for under 200 bucks, But that is all I know now. Been out of the loop too long. But being a father of two small kids limits my CPU Time these days
But I have a few hurdles. First I will be keeping my ASUS P5B for this upgrade, As getting a new high end MBO would break the budget on my little upgrade plan.
I plan on getting a new GPU and CPU in the next little bit. I am Mainly a P.C. gamer, So I only really care about Gaming performance. So, Currently my XEON Overclocks to 3.4Ghz at its' Max. But it does get hot very quick, So I back it down to 3.2Ghz for everyday gaming. My Vantage score is only in the 11500's. So I am wondering What is the best upgrade path for me.? I know I could go with a E8400 Fast C2D, Or how about a Q6600? That's all I know about CPU's now. I have no clue what kind of CPU my MOBO could support? I don't want to spend a arm and a leg either. So what are my options guys?
If I went with the E8400 and got it up to 4.0Ghz, What kind of Gaming FPS increase would I be looking at? Or what if I went with a Q6600, Would I see more FPS?
BTW, I mainly play First person shooters and racing games if that helps you find the better advice for me.
Thanx in advance guys, But this is a very important decision for me. As it will be my last upgrade for awhile. So I need to find the best fit for my planned ATI 5850 GPU, Unless Nvidia can price the 470 Fermi low enough? What is going to run that baby the best??
System spec: Intel i7 2600k, Gigabyte GTX 570 Super Overclock, Kingston DDR3 2X4 GB sticks, ASUS P8P67 PRO, Cooler Master 700 watt PSU, 750GB*2 Sata,SATA III 1TB HDD Acer 24 Widescreen, Antec 300, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Old March 10, 2010, 12:09 AM
F@H

My System Specs

There's still very few games that multithread well. Clock speed still outweighs cores IMHO. E8400/8500/8600 which should be able to crack 4.0 easily with proper cooling.
Old March 10, 2010, 07:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

A few things I'd suggest.

If you're going to get something Quad Core, go with a Q9550 It will give you all around good performance and it has tons of Cache which is always nice. You can usually find used ones for 200-250 depending. (Heck I'm gonna be selling my 6month old one very soon).
Your board should support that no problem and it will give you lots of headroom for what you want.

Also if you plan on getting a good graphics package for the future you should really consider upgrading your PSU to something better than that Sparkle 500W. Its not the best of them out there and you'll kill it if you put any Fermi inside.

SOmething like a Silverstone Strider Plus 750W or Corsair TX/HX 650/750 would do really well for you.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 10, 2010, 11:25 AM
MVP

Honestly, I'd say your best upgrade path is to hold out until you can afford a P55 or 890GX build. You might see an increase in performance by getting a new 775 CPU, but it's a big money sink for something that you'll probably want to replace soon enough anyway. For about the same price as a Q6600 (not quite sure what they're going for now, since Newegg no longer sells them, think it's around $200) you could get an i5 750 which kills the Q6600 in benchmarks. It's like upgrading to a 285 right now; you'll get more performance, but with Fermi coming out in a couple weeks that's what you'll end up wanting anyway, and then you're stuck with outdated hardware until your next upgrade.
Old March 10, 2010, 01:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
Honestly, I'd say your best upgrade path is to hold out until you can afford a P55 or 890GX build. You might see an increase in performance by getting a new 775 CPU, but it's a big money sink for something that you'll probably want to replace soon enough anyway. For about the same price as a Q6600 (not quite sure what they're going for now, since Newegg no longer sells them, think it's around $200) you could get an i5 750 which kills the Q6600 in benchmarks. It's like upgrading to a 285 right now; you'll get more performance, but with Fermi coming out in a couple weeks that's what you'll end up wanting anyway, and then you're stuck with outdated hardware until your next upgrade.
Yes, but then he has to buy the DDR3 RAM, the Board as well and it becomes more of a money sink initially Raserei.
I am going with what he requested in his original Post and what he wants to keep using.

And that being said on a tight budget something AM3 would be more suited.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old March 10, 2010, 03:29 PM
Banned
F@H

am2+/3 all the way ! unless you can throw extra cash at intel.
Old March 11, 2010, 11:08 PM
Top Prospect

Yes, Cash is very tight. So I would like to keep using my ASUS P5B if i can(Any thoughts on how long this board should last) I did get it replaced about a year or so ago. So it really is only about 18 months old. But will it hold out for another few years? As I can always through in some more Ram if needed. But yes a new PSU is also on my want list. I think this Sparkle 550 has had enough and prolly won't be able to Overclock a fermi very good LOL. But maybe a ATI 5850.
Well if your gonna get rid of your Q9550 PM and lets set something up??
What can those hit with Zalman CNPS 9500 Cooler?
I was reading a little bit on those new I5's and yes they are very attractive. But what would a decent board cost that has good OC'ing room cost to fit it? Then also the DDR3 ram which as i have heard has no real advantage yet.
So if I can get a decent Quad or fast Core2Duo for cheap then I will be happy. i really don't want my CPU being the bottleneck when I do purchase my next GPU!
Thanx for the replies guys.
System spec: Intel i7 2600k, Gigabyte GTX 570 Super Overclock, Kingston DDR3 2X4 GB sticks, ASUS P8P67 PRO, Cooler Master 700 watt PSU, 750GB*2 Sata,SATA III 1TB HDD Acer 24 Widescreen, Antec 300, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Old March 11, 2010, 11:43 PM
Banned
F@H

from what youre saying just worry about the videocard :)
Old March 12, 2010, 05:31 AM
Allstar

I think a 8600 or a 9550/9650 WOuld be all you need.

The 260 Should still be able to play everything(not all high though)

A Good CPU cooler, And over clock any of those CPUs.

Thier all 4.0GHz CPUs.
GL with the build, Remember We have all been on the Broke train.
Old March 12, 2010, 06:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

At any point with your System right now you'd need a better PSU for an Upgrade. Thats my feeling. That Sparkle will give up the ghost if you push it, just helping you out. Cash is tight, I hear ya there.

Board for i5 with good features is around the $175-200 Mark. 4GB of decent DDR3 is usually 120-140.

So it starts getting expensive to upgrade for sure.

I'll Shoot you a PM.

ST