Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   Good Bye ASRock x58 Extreme Hello EVGA x58 SLI :) (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/29288-good-bye-asrock-x58-extreme-hello-evga-x58-sli.html)

BIGFREAK February 26, 2010 04:53 AM

Good Bye ASRock x58 Extreme Hello EVGA x58 SLI :)

So.

All stoked for my new build with the i7 920 D0
but..

last night my ASRock x58 Extreme died, smells like a burnt capacitor or mosfet to me. (Board was a week old) So being all pissed off and upset I am going to get a refund and have ordered the EVGA X58 SLI

I was hoping to see if anyone that owns the EVGA board can let me know how the BIOS updates have been treating them and if they are loving the board.

I did read the Review on the EVGA board here but that was back on Jan 2009. Losts of BIOS updates since then

Thanks.

bojangles February 26, 2010 05:40 AM

Is that the E758 board? If so, BIOS updates are a breeze, and the latest ones seem to bring a lot more overclocking tools like actual outputs/readings of speeds and stuff. It's fairly easy to navigate as well.

The only thing you'll notice, which may or may not be an issue for you, is the VERY LONG boot times. Sometimes it will go through 3-4 power cycles if you changed settings in bios, or you'll hear it do a couple quick resets.

BIGFREAK February 26, 2010 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bojangles (Post 339626)
Is that the E758 board? If so, BIOS updates are a breeze, and the latest ones seem to bring a lot more overclocking tools like actual outputs/readings of speeds and stuff. It's fairly easy to navigate as well.

The only thing you'll notice, which may or may not be an issue for you, is the VERY LONG boot times. Sometimes it will go through 3-4 power cycles if you changed settings in bios, or you'll hear it do a couple quick resets.

Thanks Bojangles,

132-BL-E758-A1

yeah as long as I know the Board boots that way,
and apply setting can be a bit longer.

I am fine my last mobo was the EVGA 750i FTW and is no in the hand of my Brother In law :)

Stoked can wait to get this board. :)

Thanks again.

LC0g February 26, 2010 06:28 AM

I've had this board since the day it came out. Been a pleasure to work with this beauty :biggrin:.

No problem to date with this, what can I say... Good quality, good overclocking. Very durable, I had to change this board from case to case multiples times without any problem.

Though sometimes the OC recovery gets messy (reset CMOS some of the time) and the vtt voltage in e-leet gets crazy. Also, with my BIOS, you can't disable Turbo mode... I don't know if it is a big deal with you... Maybe the evga folks even updated this ''problem'' (who disables turbo mode anyway).

If not, real great board.:thumb:

Zamundaman February 26, 2010 06:46 AM

AsRock, MSI, and XFX.

I don't do any of them anymore. All I've had awful experience with.

magictorch March 4, 2010 10:40 AM

I've found it to be a great board to work with (very stable), so much so I haven't really considered upgrading in a while. I found it could get a pretty solid OC out my non D0 920 (~3.8) but I think thats more the chip holding it back. Also got a nice Bitspower NB/Mosfet water block which I may get round to installing one of these days. One thing I did find was the VWM chips ran a bit hot so I directed a fan onto them.