Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 23, 2010, 02:20 PM
Banned

Default two choices of mobo for budget?

I might build a cheap system for a relative. 'Moving up from a Pentium III (Compaq SFF w integrated Intel video!) so this is a big leap up!

I thought, for the price, these two choices are good price/performance choices. But, they are similar but different brands. Which one would you choose?:

Newegg.ca - ASRock A785GM-LE/128M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

or

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR A785GE AM2+/AM3 AMD 785G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

I think I can price match so one is $62 while the other one would be $65 so close enough.

I loaned out 2GB DDR2 PC-8500 that I can probably get back (was upgraded to 4GB).

I have for them:
2GB RAM DDR2 Crucial Ballistix
500GB HDD
Case - Antec Solo
LCD Monitor, keyboard, mouse

that leaves cpu, psu and mobo....

Recommendations? Ideas?
Old February 23, 2010, 02:33 PM
Banned

Oh yeah, 'not sure if similar motherboards ever come up in the B&S section but I would consider used to save on shipping and taxes. The two boards above are about $60 and shipping is about $10 so say, $75? I guess a used board for $60 shipped would interest me? Any chance?

I haven't checked used parts much because they always seem to go when I'm ready to buy and wanted to reserve $70 for the mobo but no more. It doesn't need to be a super duper overclocker but reliable. The ability to unlock a cpu would't hurt though! :D Anyways....'would be nice to get some opinions on the above boards. I know they're not Asus or Gigabyte but Asrock and Biostar seem to have some decent budget boards out. They just don't have 'the name' but should do okay as a basic board?
Old February 23, 2010, 02:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Of the two mobo's, I'd take the Biostar. If you let us know the budget for the rest of the parts, better suggestions might be made.
Old February 23, 2010, 02:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Of the two mobo's, I'd take the Biostar. If you let us know the budget for the rest of the parts, better suggestions might be made.
okay, one point so far for Biostar!

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 240 - $60
PSU; I think OCZ has sales for those from time to time? - $60
Old February 23, 2010, 04:35 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I would get an ASRock board over a BIOSTAR. And forget about getting an OCZ PSU; most of them are lousy.
Old February 23, 2010, 05:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I honestly have no experience with either. I know you are trying to stay budget, but I would spend an extra $10 and grab the cheapest ASUS 785g for $80

or even MSI at $70 over the 2 you picked.
Old February 23, 2010, 05:34 PM
MVP

I'd go for the Asrock, since from what i've seen they've got pretty good quality in general (if lower than ASUS, MSI, EVGA, and Gigabyte). In my book they're the winners for performance on a budget.

I know you're trying to stay on a budget, but I'd also say avoid OCZ's PSUs. The quality is quite poor on most. If you can afford a Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, or Seasonic, that would be far better.
Old February 23, 2010, 05:47 PM
Banned

Okay, thanks for the comments and recommendations so far!! So, two for the Asrock and one for the Biostar. That's a good balance. I read that Asrock is made up of a lot of former ASUS developers/designers. I think that's a good thing... I think...

So, no OCZ power supplies. Okay! LOL! I know Seasonic/Corsair are good choices but not many budget ones on sale. Yet, the power supply is one of the few components you can move to any system so probably one of the parts you shouldn't cheap out on. Plus, it runs your system so.... I have a Corsair HX520 in my desktop. Probably not the best Corsair anymore but still running strong, knock on wood...

I think Asus motherboards are good but if I add another $20 to the mobo budget and get a Corsair PSU, I'm probably up to $200 now and climbing? Yikes! ;)
Old February 23, 2010, 05:51 PM
Banned

Edit: Looking at your recommendations, Bond007, I like those picks now! Especially the Asus.... where will I find the money??!? ;-o
Old February 23, 2010, 06:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If your not overclocking/no add on gpu then go for the asrock, since it comes with 128mb as side port it will do a little better. But if you do happen to use a add on gpu and want to do a mild overclock then go for the biostar.