Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   First Time ever taking out CPU!! help! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/29148-first-time-ever-taking-out-cpu-help.html)

hohohee February 22, 2010 12:14 PM

First Time ever taking out CPU!! help!

First Time ever taking out CPU!! help!

quick version: i pull out heatsink along with cpu attached. cpu glued to heatsink. is there a way i can still install it back to the motherboard while cpu is attached to heatsink?

so i finally decide to take out the heatsink/cpu to clean dust. i unscrew and about to take out heatsink..... as i watch random video they shake left and right wiggle to reduce having cpu come out with it or it will cause problem or damages.

so i remmeber that... so as i pull out the heatsink and wiggle left and right and circle all around...... then finally pull straight up forcefully.... then bo0m! heatsink got out.... with CPU intact!!!!!!! and i was like o0o0o shhhhhiii.

then i look all around.... and notice that the heatsink is glued right on the cpu. the bottom of the heatsink is glued to the cpu. is this normal? is this supose to be glued on? if it is.... then when i pull out heatsink... it will always be taking out cpu too so its normal.

anyway... so yeah im pausing the process there. i pull out heatsink with cpu attached. now i want to install right back afte ri cleaned up dust. why im pausing the progress is cause i am afraid to put it back in.

i want tips and suggesion on my situation right now. what do i do first to put the cpu back in? do i jus put it in? i got the heatsink holder locked on place on the heatsink... all i need to do is place the heatsink/cpu on motherboard but i am scared of messing up.

any tips? suggesion? anything i need to know?

edit: AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+ / heatsink says foxconn 2007

enaberif February 22, 2010 12:23 PM

may help in saying what brand and socket.

but generally slowly twisting back and forth will separate it.,

MarkOne February 22, 2010 12:24 PM

may be you should start by telling us what CPU model you have

hohohee February 22, 2010 12:32 PM

cpu is amd.

is it posible to install it while the cpu is glued on the heatsink? what about the silver laver on the motherboard of the cpu holes? the cpu silver laver lock.... i have to pull it up before placing the cpu in right? but how do i do that when if i pull the laver up.... i cannot put the heatsinki/cpu in?

is it posible to put the heatsink/cpu back in while cpu is glued on heatsink?

lechumbl February 22, 2010 01:10 PM

Hi hohohee,

Since you have a ZIF socket on you mobo, you need to open it up to accept the pins of the CPU.
You can't do that with the HSF attached.

You will need to remove the HSF from the CPU, insert it in the ZIF socket and re-thermal paste and attached.

Take care............

hohohee February 22, 2010 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lechumbl (Post 337725)
Hi hohohee,

Since you have a ZIF socket on you mobo, you need to open it up to accept the pins of the CPU.
You can't do that with the HSF attached.

You will need to remove the HSF from the CPU, insert it in the ZIF socket and re-thermal paste and attached.

Take care............

HSF mean heatsink? ZIF socket is the holes that supose to be plug by cpu?

so it is impossible to install without taking cpu and heatsink apart?

thermal paste..... i dont have any. is this mean i cannot install without thermal paste? cant i just install it while cpu is glued in heatsink? but i cant right? due to i must pull up the silver metal lock... am i understanding right?

another question..... is it possible to do it without thermal paste? cant i jus put the cpu in and put the heatsink in? without thermal paste?

MarkOne February 22, 2010 01:33 PM

I dough the cpu is glue, it's probably only the thermal paste holding it. it happen ofthen with zif socket to see the cpu go out with the cooler, and yes you need thermal paste, actually you sould have not remove the cooler if you don't have

enaberif February 22, 2010 01:35 PM

1) You need thermal paste
2) You cannot install cpu into socket if heatsink is attached
3) You better check for straight pins as some could be bent

hohohee February 22, 2010 01:43 PM

awww man so its official.... i need to take cpu and heatsink apart and put thermal paste.....

cant i use regular glue? likle super glue? if not... can i put nothing?

if i must put thermal paste.... will this thermal paste do? Amazon.com: StarTech HEATGREASE Thermal Conductive Grease for Heatsink: Electronics

yeah i should not remove it if i dont have thermal paste at hand but my plan was just taking out heatsink and clean dust but unexpectly pull the cpu along with it but yeah next time if pull heatisnk... gotta have thermal paste at hand jus in case pull cpu with it.

Zero82z February 22, 2010 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hohohee (Post 337748)
HSF mean heatsink? ZIF socket is the holes that supose to be plug by cpu?

The ZIF (zero insertion force) socket is the thing stuck onto your motherboard that the CPU pins fit into.
Quote:

so it is impossible to install without taking cpu and heatsink apart?

Yes, it is impossible. You must separate the CPU and heatsink, clean them both using some kind of solvent (isopropyl alcohol is what I recommend), install the CPU into the socket, lock it down, apply thermal paste, and then mount the heatsink.
Quote:

thermal paste..... i dont have any. is this mean i cannot install without thermal paste? cant i just install it while cpu is glued in heatsink? but i cant right? due to i must pull up the silver metal lock... am i understanding right?

The 'glue' is actually thermal paste. It's not really glue, although it might be a bit difficult to separate the CPU and heatsink. And you do need thermal paste, so you cannot install the CPU without it.