Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 22, 2010, 09:10 PM
MVP

Entirely possible...though I've never understood why anyone wouldn't want the flexibility of being able to remove the heatsink...ever...

The thought crossed my mind reading the thread for sure, but it seemed like old thermal paste that was really hardened on was a more likely answer.
Old February 22, 2010, 10:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ummm... did I read the original post right in that you removed the CPU from the socket WITHOUT unlocking the lever that locks the pins in place? If so, you're gonna want to make sure you didn't break off any pins, Espescially since you mentioned you had to yank on it to get it out of the socket. The cpu should come out nice and easy, no forcing necessary.

Here's an illustrated guide... Although the product is outdated, and you should apply thermal paste to the entire cpu on newer models, the steps are still the same.
Old February 22, 2010, 11:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

Guys come on.. this happens ALL the time as you unlock the cpu hsf ESPECIALLY on amd or older intel where they used the zif sockets it was QUITE normal for this to happen.

Its usually because the hsf had never been separated from the cpu before and it dries up and gets reallllllllllly sticky.

This is why I said check for bent pins for as I have had this happen NUMEROUS times that I can't even count anymore.

Besides ... how do you REMOVE the cpu from the socket unless you remove the hsf first?
Old February 23, 2010, 01:19 AM
MVP

My System Specs

this happened to me in shop class once long time ago, u need to heat up the heatsink and cpu with a hairdryer or something not a flame lol. it will let the two separate.
Old February 23, 2010, 09:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Guys come on.. this happens ALL the time as you unlock the cpu hsf ESPECIALLY on amd or older intel where they used the zif sockets it was QUITE normal for this to happen.

Its usually because the hsf had never been separated from the cpu before and it dries up and gets reallllllllllly sticky.

This is why I said check for bent pins for as I have had this happen NUMEROUS times that I can't even count anymore.

Besides ... how do you REMOVE the cpu from the socket unless you remove the hsf first?

QFT on this one. I've seen old TIM that resembeled Glue and I've yanked a CPU out with the HS still attached. It does happen. Just make sure you inspect for any obvious signs of Damage.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 23, 2010, 09:36 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
QFT on this one. I've seen old TIM that resembeled Glue and I've yanked a CPU out with the HS still attached.

hum hummmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
....... it's probably only the thermal paste holding it. it happen with zif socket to see the cpu go out with the cooler,.
Old February 23, 2010, 11:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've had numerous cpus come out with the HSF. The TIM dries out after a while and more like hardened clay. I've never had a problem with bent pins, however.

Err, so yeah, they didn't glue it on, or at least it's VERY unlikely. I mean only a complete idi... ahh hell. Nevermind.
Old February 23, 2010, 04:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am mostly confused by the fact that he never mentioned opening the latch.... unless I missed something.
Old February 23, 2010, 04:31 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Not being rude but I would like to know how he is an MVP of this site and never taken a CPU out before?
Old February 23, 2010, 08:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
I am mostly confused by the fact that he never mentioned opening the latch.... unless I missed something.

Nothing confusing about it.

With the latch down on a ZIF socket (IE: the sockets with the levers) you can, without too much effort, pull the CPU straight out of the socket.

It's not locked in.