Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 22, 2010, 01:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohohee View Post
awww man so its official.... i need to take cpu and heatsink apart and put thermal paste.....

cant i use regular glue? likle super glue? if not... can i put nothing?

if i must put thermal paste.... will this thermal paste do? Amazon.com: StarTech HEATGREASE Thermal Conductive Grease for Heatsink: Electronics

yeah i should not remove it if i dont have thermal paste at hand but my plan was just taking out heatsink and clean dust but unexpectly pull the cpu along with it but yeah next time if pull heatisnk... gotta have thermal paste at hand jus in case pull cpu with it.
Its not glue

Its dried up thermal paste from being there far too long.

Just get some AS5 or something I'm sure a local store will have it.
Old February 22, 2010, 01:47 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
cant i use regular glue? likle super glue? if not... can i put nothing?
It's not glue. It's paste which is meant to transfer heat more effectively between the CPU and heatsink. You cannot use glue. You have to use proper thermal paste.
Quote:
if i must put thermal paste.... will this thermal paste do? Amazon.com: StarTech HEATGREASE Thermal Conductive Grease for Heatsink: Electronics
This would be a better choice: Amazon.com: Arctic Cooling mx-2: Electronics
Quote:
but yeah next time if pull heatisnk... gotta have thermal paste at hand jus in case pull cpu with it.
If you ever remove the heatsink from the CPU, you have to reapply thermal paste even if you don't take out the CPU as well. Any time you disrupt the contact between the CPU and heatsink, you should replace the paste.
Old February 22, 2010, 01:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

LOL lol
Old February 22, 2010, 02:00 PM
MVP

ahhh ok. lesson learned. never knew must put new thermla paste when take out heatsink too.

thermal paste your link is pretty expensive... 8.00 for a small thing. hmmm. the differenc eis quality right? the 99 cents can be used? but not as effecient as the 8 dollar? if so... ill buy the cheap one first and see how it is.

alright i think im settled. buy thermal paste and back on track. lazy to buy local shop and its probly cost alot. ill buy online and dont have pc for 3,4 days but its ok i have multiple pc plus i spin more time on ps3.

so yeah apreciated helps.

ps. someone said AS5.... i thought ASS haha.
Old February 22, 2010, 02:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
ahhh ok. lesson learned. never knew must put new thermla paste when take out heatsink too.

thermal paste your link is pretty expensive... 8.00 for a small thing. hmmm. the differenc eis quality right? the 99 cents can be used? but not as effecient as the 8 dollar? if so... ill buy the cheap one first and see how it is.

alright i think im settled. buy thermal paste and back on track. lazy to buy local shop and its probly cost alot. ill buy online and dont have pc for 3,4 days but its ok i have multiple pc plus i spin more time on ps3.

so yeah apreciated helps.

ps. someone said AS5.... i thought ASS haha.
$8.00 for a thing of paste will last a long time. You do not need to apply very much. Rice grain/pea size is enough. You only need to reapply if temperatures are going up. I haven't changed mine in over a year on one of my computers.
Old February 22, 2010, 03:03 PM
Rookie

Watch this video on how to put thermal paste on your cpu. He shows you how to do it on an Intel and AMD cpus. YouTube - Installing Thermal Compound (NCIX Tech Tips #11)

Also if you are having trouble getting the CPU off the heatsink try using a blow dryer and aim it around the bottom of it. That should heat it up enough for the thermal grease to soften and allow the cpu to separate from the heatsink. I've used this method before on a socket 478 CPU.

good luck
Old February 22, 2010, 04:31 PM
MVP

Some tips if you have to do it again.
Heat up cpu before removing hsf.
Store as5 nose down when not using.
Coffee filters are also lint free and can be used to clean cpu and hsf.

Hope it works out for you.
Old February 22, 2010, 07:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Make sure to apply peanut-butter to the CPU socket

/sarcasm

Good luck, seems odd you CPU would pop out.... isn't there a bracket/latch holding it in?
Old February 22, 2010, 07:46 PM
Allstar
F@H

how do you have 300+ posts here and not know about thermal paste... glue? really..

Old February 22, 2010, 08:39 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I wonder if someone in the past might have been silly or stupid enough to apply thermal adhesive instead of thermal paste?