Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7, 2010, 04:38 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default upgrade question

OK I'm looking for advice,
I currently have 2 sapphire HD 5850 cards but I have a p5Q motherboard with only one pci express slot. I'd love to crossfire these two bad boys but I am having a problem deciding what to do. what would you guys do in this situation. Would you upgrade your mother board (new 775 board) or do a system upgrade, (say i7 920/mobo and ram). If you'd go the new 775 board what would you suggest? My current system can be displayed please look there. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.
Old February 7, 2010, 05:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Here is 2 great 775's motherboards with crossfire capability :

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...cture=Gigabyte

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...nufacture=ASUS

Of course if you have the money, i7 920 is a great upgrade.
Old February 7, 2010, 05:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You could sell the cpu/mobo/ram and upgrade to an i5 system...

-Plato
Old February 7, 2010, 09:33 PM
MVP

Don't invest more into 775. It's dying technology. Better to save up (or if you have the money, go for it now) and get a new system using hardware that will get future support. I'd suggest going 1156, since it's a minimal performance increase for the extra money, but if you really want to go with 1366, your call.
Old February 7, 2010, 10:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

If you decide to stay with 775 the Asus Pro Turbo is a great board. Have one in my wife's pc and no problems whatsoever.
Old February 7, 2010, 11:31 PM
Banned
F@H

first things first if you want to have good advice , you have to give us a budget

all true I have no problem if you give me your Gold Visa # and let me do the build for you
Old February 8, 2010, 05:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
first things first if you want to have good advice , you have to give us a budget

all true I have no problem if you give me your Gold Visa # and let me do the build for you
lol thanks for the offer but I'll take care of that . Over all I find it a confusing time for an upgrade. Is the 1156 a viable platform or is it better to take the hit and go 1366? Or wait for AMD new chip, who knows. either way selling my old mobo and buying a new one isn't to expensive and I may go for that. I think it may be best to wait for my tax return and go from there.

but I have a q6600 is that chip really close to the end of it's life, for gaming anyway. I think it a great chip.
Old February 8, 2010, 06:10 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri5cui7 View Post
lol thanks for the offer but I'll take care of that . Over all I find it a confusing time for an upgrade. Is the 1156 a viable platform or is it better to take the hit and go 1366? Or wait for AMD new chip, who knows. either way selling my old mobo and buying a new one isn't to expensive and I may go for that. I think it may be best to wait for my tax return and go from there.

but I have a q6600 is that chip really close to the end of it's life, for gaming anyway. I think it a great chip.
When I choose a platform ( 775, 1156 or 1366 ) I don't thing of the upgrade path for the reason that I always re use my old stuff an other place. Most of the time I put then in a case ( even a new cheap one ) and resell it. May be not here , but a lot more of peoples want full system not just a CPU

Your CPU is not dying at all, I have a Q6600 and a Q6700 , they are quite capable. Why not keep it as a second PC. ( I see some opportunity for some to argue than the Op may not need a second PC, I just give him an option not an order )

The 1156, will be a good choice if you want to upgrade or build a new one. Even if it have only 2 * 8x lanes for a crossfire setup, Xfire do not double the performance in every game, the one that will be bottle neck by a 3% performance lost of the 8x lane, will be way over what you need as FPS to run the game well, and in case of game like Crysis, xfire make no difference at all.

Honestly if I was you I will not change a motherboard only for use a second GPU as Xfire. you way better to sell both of them and get a higher single card, can be the new Fermi, why not. At least the new GPU can be use in a new build later.

CrazyHorseJohny give you is experience with one of the board he own, that's a very good starting point if you decide to replace the board with a 775.

now lets start the "I will recommend this...... " and the " Don't do this " as if it's them who pay for it
Old February 8, 2010, 07:27 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

You should just send me one of your 5850's, my P5Q Deluxe can do Crossfire nicely.

jk

$130 for a new mobo, you might get $75 for the old one, that would seem to be the way to go.
Old February 8, 2010, 08:58 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
You should just send me one of your 5850's, ......
...... you might get $75 for the old one, .
NO WAY doc... if he give you the card he give me the motherboard

It's a very inexpensive upgrade at $ 55... even if it's for buy a new rig few month later . If you have the money only in 6 month for a major update , I will suggest to go that way. Anyway at the end you can sale the new board , ant it will have cost you only time. You will use your present equipment. and it will give the time to see what Nvidia have to offer. And that's why I have not yet replace my HD 4890 but sell the other one I was Xfire with

something tell me than the OP know all that, he is just not yet decide what to do ( I know the feeling)