Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 5, 2010, 01:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Choosing a cpu for folding/gaming

So hoping to get a new rig soon with 4GB of DDR3 sitting next to me, all I need is a motherboard and a cpu. Still debating between the i7/920 route or goin with p55 750/x3440/860.

I'm a bit split on whether or not I should be doing some folding@home on it when I get it up and running and if I should be aiming for some bigadv. If I were to go the folding/p55 route would a x3440 overclock as well as a i7 860 or close enough for me to get enough points to get some nice bonuses in bigadv? Also, would performance be the same as a normal 860 at the same speeds in general use applications/gaming? The reason I'm looking at the x3440 is that it's $50-$60cheaper than an 860 at the moment.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Also, would 4gb of RAM be enough for bigadv or would it slow me down?

(Not sure if this should be in the F@H section so feel free to move me mods)

Old February 5, 2010, 01:30 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

1. The X3440 would be fine for -bigadv. Even a stock-clocked i7 920 is fast enough to qualify for the bonus, so if you overclock that chip, you'd see some pretty nice numbers from it.

2. 4GB is not enough for -bigadv. You'll need to go 8GB.
Old February 5, 2010, 01:36 PM
Banned
F@H

for now forget the bigadv with the 750, the client stop at the install, because the install do not detect the 8 cores... A small 2 lines change in the install may fix it.... I will try tonight to send email..don't know where if someone can make me a mod in the install..

ok I get 9,000 PPD with my new work on my 750, at 3,3 ghz I will OC it at 4,0 it drop when my son use it
my 860 at 3,5 ghz give me 22k PPD, and I use the PC like I want no restriction. photoshop , thing like that
I'm building now 2 x 920 , because first , they are more easy to oc at 4,0 ghz they need only 6 gb . but for clock to clock I believe than an 920 and a 860 give the same points
What I have not check , is if you can put 3 stick of memory on a 860 board, everything I see make me believe than you can't
mother board manual always pair them exeption of a single one. so in that case you need 8 gb for a 860.. I may be wrong on this one...
Old February 5, 2010, 01:40 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
4GB is not enough for -bigadv. You'll need to go 8GB.
Zero forget to say that it's with a 860 that you will need 8 gb... with the 920, you can use only 6 gb, as the board have 6 slots , so 3 sticks of 2g .
Martin Metal came with an idea to put a 4 gb usb stick to combine with is 4 gb on the board, he said he will lost only 3% But I still not see the results.. We want news about it Martin and results in the chart too

( I hope Martin, it was not in private , I don't remember, anyway can be good to share too )
Old February 5, 2010, 04:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Since you're planning to run -bigadv folding, this thread will help. big adv question (new rig lookup)

As for the difference between the X3440 and Core i7 860, isn't it generally that Intel's server CPUs run cooler and can overclock higher?
Old February 5, 2010, 05:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmmmmm....so Martin's trying a 4GB readyboost usb during folding? Sounds interesting.
Having only 3slots filled will drop the RAM to single channel mode which is probably going to lower the folding score a lot since it seems that bigadv is affected by changes in bandwidth from what I've read so it's probably not the best option.

As for the xeons, a bunch of people do think that they're binned higher for stability but it might just be speculation.

Would having all 4 slots filled in a p55 board lower my overclock? Also, is the additional cost of HT worth it other than folding@home or media encoding(which i do not do at all)

Old February 5, 2010, 06:41 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
What I have not check , is if you can put 3 stick of memory on a 860 board, everything I see make me believe than you can't
mother board manual always pair them exeption of a single one. so in that case you need 8 gb for a 860.. I may be wrong on this one...
You should be able to run three sticks, with the third just running in single-channel mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
As for the difference between the X3440 and Core i7 860, isn't it generally that Intel's server CPUs run cooler and can overclock higher?
The X3440 is not a server CPU. It's a workstation CPU, which really just means that it's a Lynnfield chip branded as a Xeon instead of an i7. And the lower temperature and higher overclocking thing is just a myth.
Old February 5, 2010, 07:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Zero are you sure about the ram?, if my memory serves correctly, they all default down to single channel don't they if its 3/4 slots filled?

Old February 5, 2010, 07:30 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
Zero are you sure about the ram?, if my memory serves correctly, they all default down to single channel don't they if its 3/4 slots filled?
I'm pretty sure Intel memory controllers have been able to run in single-channel mode and dual-channel mode simultaneously for a while now. I haven't tried it myself though, so I could very well be wrong.
Old February 5, 2010, 08:47 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
I'm pretty sure Intel memory controllers have been able to run in single-channel mode and dual-channel mode simultaneously for a while now. I haven't tried it myself though, so I could very well be wrong.
you can be right too. ..the hic is that I will not shutdown my bigadv to know it.

Ok I read my Asus manual. as since few years, when you use double side memory with a single side ( ex one 2 gb and one 4 gb , it will take the amount of the smaller memory (2) , add it to the lower part of the second one (first 2 of the 4) for a dual channel, and use the upper memory (the left of the 4) as single so that means you have a dual + a single living together

look to me like a configuration with 3 rams can work . but the hic, is when the memory remap the upper part of the 4 gb.. he remap.. he do not use the third slot . so we back to square one.. I will google a little bit for fun

I hope my explanation was understandable