Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 29, 2010, 11:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default X58 Classified + NH-D14 help please

well just got my parts today and it sucks to find out that the NH-D14 will not mount, either way, onto
the motherboard. Am thinking about switching into an H50, is there something better I could use for a cpu cooler. I do plan on over clocking this thing once I get my power supply and able to power this sucker up for the first time. Any suggestions, I am looking for the best possible solution that will work with the EVGA X58 Classified and the i7 920 D0 with G.Skill Trident ram, all in the Corsair 800D

EVGA X58 Classified 3 SLI / i7 920 D0 / Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 2gb x 6 / Noctua NH-D14 / BFG 260 Maxcore / Corsair Obsidian 800D / Seasonic M12D 850w
Old January 30, 2010, 07:06 AM
Banned

Can you supply a pic of how it will not fit onto your motherboard?
Old January 30, 2010, 09:42 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

yeah basically the edge of the fins are right against the northbridge I would have to bend the northbridge down towards the PCI-E slots will take a pic and post it shortly

edit: basically the one configuration works fine, with the fans pointing towards the top of the case, but the orientation I was thinking would be best would be drawing air from the back of the case pushing it though towards the ram, will be uploading a pic in about 20 minutes, have to take out something from my current computer.

2nd edit: okay just got my current system working again, had to reinstall OS for some stupid reason, I removed a storage drive and then it couldn't find the OS even after trying to use Bootsect to fix the mbr so picture will be coming, I have the pictures and it will be uploading soon, once I get things situtated with current system

can't believe I am still waiting for my power to supply to ship considering they were transferring from Store stock and said it should ship in a day which was tuesday lol

EVGA X58 Classified 3 SLI / i7 920 D0 / Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 2gb x 6 / Noctua NH-D14 / BFG 260 Maxcore / Corsair Obsidian 800D / Seasonic M12D 850w

Last edited by vintank; January 30, 2010 at 03:34 PM. Reason: addition
Old January 31, 2010, 06:02 AM
MVP

This is how I have mine....drawing air from top and it blows down over the NB.

Helped cool the NB off...as an added bonus

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy
Old January 31, 2010, 06:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

but doesn't your psu fan blow out?
Old January 31, 2010, 06:56 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
I think that's still on topic. so yeah, even if you turned the fan around in the PSU - why would you want hot air over the PSU going over your CPU/NB/vid card?

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old January 31, 2010, 06:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

was just thinking if the fans were blowing up and into the psu fan so it blows right out the back. just a thought.
Old January 31, 2010, 07:37 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
That is a pretty valid point. There is probably a little conflict between the cpu fans and the PS fans (at the time I was just breathing a sigh of relief the NH-D14 got in). The CPU fans wanting to pull air down...while the PS fan is trying to pull up and out the back of the PS.

I think I will just turn the PS up, so that the fan will be facing the top of the case. There is about a one inch of space for it to breath air in the top...then out the back of the PS.

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy
Old January 31, 2010, 08:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ What Case is that? Agreed, drawing air in from the PSU doesn't look good at all....for a Classified Board you should be looking at a bigger Case.

To the OP, the TRUE with 120mm push / pull fans and mounting backplate works on the Classified in either East / West or North / South config., even with Dominator Memory.

Old January 31, 2010, 10:33 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
^^^^ What Case is that? Agreed, drawing air in from the PSU doesn't look good at all....for a Classified Board you should be looking at a bigger Case.

To the OP, the TRUE with 120mm push / pull fans and mounting backplate works on the Classified in either East / West or North / South config., even with Dominator Memory.

this is the orientation I wanted, have 2 x P12's, this would allow the rear intake fan to send cool air to the first pan that then pushes it through the heatsink and then the 2nd fan pushes it through the 2nd heatsink then the top fans exhaust any hot air. I also have the extra intake fan in the lower hdd cage to help bring air in, not sure if it will help or hinder, as the 140mm pushing air through the hot swap hdd cage draws air from below it

edit : wrong image, can't find the right one, if you look at the mother board and turn the heatsink 180 degrees counter clock wise, so it runs parallel with the ram it won't fit as the northbridge is in the way.

but had to settle with this orientation, so we will see how it all runs and cools once I get my M12D 850w Seasonic PSU.

Last edited by vintank; January 31, 2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: updating