Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 28, 2010, 07:46 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default suggest an AM3/AM2+ mobo

So Ive been looking for a mobo for a few weeks now, almost settled on Newegg.ca - Foxconn A79A-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
but it doesn't seem to fair well with unlocking hidden cores

-I plan on using a Phenom II 550 so unlocking is one of the bigger requirements
-DTS Connect is a requirement, may as well get this onboard, cheaper than getting a dedicated soundcard and the sound quality will be identical using digital
(Dolby Digital Live would suffice but i prefer DTS)
-ATX size, dont plan on crossfire but i would like the extra slots, my current matx + dual slot 8800gt fills the board, drives me nuts

everything else is up in the air

the hardest info to find seems to be if the Sound chip/driver supports DTS connect, any help finding me a board much appreciated.

Old January 28, 2010, 07:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Your budget would be helpful.
Old January 28, 2010, 08:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

ah yes, around 150can would ideal
Old January 28, 2010, 08:38 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

m4a79 deluxe. I've got the m4a79t deluxe and I love it. It lacks dual ethernet, but who bothers going through all that hassle anyways? I also have a m4a785td-v evo that also unlocks very nicely, but voltage regulation isn't as good as the m4a79t (even though they're both 10 phases). yes I'm an asus fanboi, I've had one gigabyte board and it was buggy as hell, but it was a $60 budget board
Old January 28, 2010, 08:38 PM
MVP

I'd say the M4A79XTD Evo. Not too sure on the DTS, but it fits your other requirements nicely. Besides, dual slots, though not necessary, are really nice to have.
Old January 28, 2010, 08:52 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

thanks guys, ill check those out right now
Old January 28, 2010, 09:50 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

either of those dont seem to support dts connect nor ddl, the search continues

i really wish mobo manufacturers listed audio capabilities better, dts connect/dolby digital live is the only way to get surround sound out of games over spdif

i may have to get a cheaper mobo and a legacy-pci soundcard and slap it in the bottom slot
Old January 29, 2010, 06:21 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I picked up that same Foxconn board you're looking at. Runs great so far and has great overclocking ability, very simple to use. I'm just worried down the road if all the phenom IIs and new X6's will be fully compatible as I haven't heard anyone running a 965 on it (only as high as a 955). I'm not sure how good this board is at unlocking cores but I'd like to hear the results . The Gigabyte UD4P seems to be the king at that ability. Either way the board you selected is not too shabby at all, especially for the price!
Old January 29, 2010, 09:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
I'd say the M4A79XTD Evo. Not too sure on the DTS, but it fits your other requirements nicely. Besides, dual slots, though not necessary, are really nice to have.

+1 I run both EVO's and I love them!

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 29, 2010, 12:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mook06 View Post
either of those dont seem to support dts connect nor ddl, the search continues

i really wish mobo manufacturers listed audio capabilities better, dts connect/dolby digital live is the only way to get surround sound out of games over spdif

i may have to get a cheaper mobo and a legacy-pci soundcard and slap it in the bottom slot
Probably the best way to start this would be to use google to find out what onboard audio chips support your requirements and work from there.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP