Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 28, 2010, 08:14 PM
Rookie

Default Suggestions for new build

I was searching around the interwebs, when I came across these forums. People here seem polite and insightful, so I'm searching out advice on a system I'm mapping out.

Primary uses (in order of priority)
1) Games (FPS, RPG, RTS)
2) 2D Design (Adobe CS4, mostly Photoshop, Illustrator and Lightroom)
3) 3D Modelling and Mod Making (Maya and Unreal Dev Kit)

Prices are in US Dollars

PC
Core i5 750 $200.00
Rosewill R220 $25
Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB $70
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB 2x2 DDR3 1600 $100
ASRock P55 LGA 1156 $114
Sapphire HD 5770 1 GB Juniper XT $180.00
Reusing a newer 750 Watt PSU I have

Total: $689.00

I was hoping to stay under $700. Is there any new tech coming out that will reduce these prices?

Thanks ahead of time for any advice that may come my way.
Old January 28, 2010, 08:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looks good to me. As long as you're not doing any overclocking your CPU should stay cool in that chassis. When you get into overclocking (that's when you get more bang for your buck), you'll want to consider a new chassis and heatsink to keep the heat down. I recommend the CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ for overclocking on a budget. For cases, the Antec 300, CM690/690 II are good selections as well.
Old January 28, 2010, 08:50 PM
Rookie

Default Thanks

What about a case makes for good overclocking? Vents?

Thanks for the insight.
Old January 28, 2010, 09:51 PM
MVP

Well, if you're thinking about OCing, getting a good cooler is more important than a case. Generally, good "OCing cases" have plenty of fans and vents for airflow, but as long as it has 3-4 120mms I'd say it's perfectly fine (any more and it will just be loud). Also, I don't recommend the Antec 300 or 690. If you really want to go inexpensive I'd say get the NZXT Beta EVO or Gamma. The 690 II is great if you can afford it though; it's a little light on included fans, but it's got plenty of slots and adding some as you go along will give you some really great airflow.

Also, there's an expected video card drop when Fermi is released in a couple months. If you've got a card already that you can carry over until then (or are willing to hold off) you'll likely save a good amount on your video card. Personally, though, I wouldn't say it's worth putting off the build entirely.