Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 25, 2010, 05:03 PM
Associate Review Editor

Default Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 Motherboard Review Comment Thread

Hey everyone! We have just posted a review of Gigabyte's latest wonder, the high-end X58A-UD7 LGA1366 motherboard.

This is the first of the 'second generation' X58 motherboards that we have reviewed, and also the first to feature both USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s. Although we didn't have any worthwhile SATA 6Gb/s drives are our disposal during this review, you can get a first taste of USB 3.0's impressive performance.

All comments, questions, and criticisms are welcome. Enjoy!

Old January 25, 2010, 05:41 PM

My System Specs

First off nice review as always.

I've had the board for a few months now and my complaints are pretty much the same. Very poor PCIe layout and the horribly large NB/SB/Mosfet sink. It makes the top two PCIe x1 slots useless. Unless you need the SATA6Gbps and the USB3.0 I'd much rather pay the extra ~$30 and get a Classified.
Old January 25, 2010, 06:09 PM
Top Prospect

Nice review!

Just wondering why there are only 2 Usb 3.0 port? Why arent them all the same? Too difficult?
Old January 25, 2010, 06:27 PM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slay3r View Post
Nice review!

Just wondering why there are only 2 Usb 3.0 port? Why arent them all the same? Too difficult?
Well it would require more USB 3.0 controllers, so while it would add a little complexity, it's mostly a cost issue.
Old January 25, 2010, 08:28 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I know you mentioned the new ASUS motherboard as competition for this one; any idea what EVGA's competition will look like in comparison? It seems that the current-gen Classified leads the pack, so it'll be interesting to see... and I'm in the market for a new mobo!
Old January 25, 2010, 08:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

so unless you really want usb3 sata3 which is provided by 3rd party chips anyway there no point from what i can tell. lowfat raid get any speed increase on the marvell sata3?
Old January 25, 2010, 08:45 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
so unless you really want usb3 sata3 which is provided by 3rd party chips anyway there no point from what i can tell. lowfat raid get any speed increase on the marvell sata3?
Never bothered testing since all other tests I've seen show horrible performance on it.
Old January 25, 2010, 09:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

How does Gigabyte implement USB 3.0 / SATA 3 on this board? I know they steal 8 PCIe lanes from the CPU on the P55 boards, so do they steal PCIe lanes off the Northbridge here?
Old January 25, 2010, 09:18 PM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helix View Post
How does Gigabyte implement USB 3.0 / SATA 3 on this board? I know they steal 8 PCIe lanes from the CPU on the P55 boards, so do they steal PCIe lanes off the Northbridge here?
No, they use the PCIe lanes from the southbridge. All 32 PCIe lanes from the northbridge are still available for the graphics cards.
Old January 25, 2010, 10:13 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Bingo. I'm sold.