Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 18, 2010, 10:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

with that EVGA board, dont use a case, you need everyone to see the fullness of your e-peen.

(I would still olove to have one for the right price)

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old January 18, 2010, 10:48 AM
MVP

from some extra reading..Mountain mods are working on trays for them
other than that...Lian-Li and supermicro are the only ones with case(s?) atm
Old January 18, 2010, 03:04 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I've got two E5520s on an Asus Z8NA-D6C board. It is a decent dual s1366 board that is ATX sized and a reasonable price. Doesn't have a whole lot of features, but for how much I paid for it, I wasn't expecting much.
As for ECC versus non-ECC, I strongly suggest going with ECC if you have more than a bit (as in more than 4GB) of RAM in a system. I'll try to dig up Google's whitepaper on RAM errors, but they found that ECC helped a lot.
Registered RAM, for me at least, is more a matter of diminishing returns. I get a lot less out of it than I do with ECC for a marked price increase.
Old January 18, 2010, 03:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleF View Post
I've got two E5520s on an Asus Z8NA-D6C board. It is a decent dual s1366 board that is ATX sized and a reasonable price. Doesn't have a whole lot of features, but for how much I paid for it, I wasn't expecting much.
As for ECC versus non-ECC, I strongly suggest going with ECC if you have more than a bit (as in more than 4GB) of RAM in a system. I'll try to dig up Google's whitepaper on RAM errors, but they found that ECC helped a lot.
Registered RAM, for me at least, is more a matter of diminishing returns. I get a lot less out of it than I do with ECC for a marked price increase.
Hey! that's the board I ordered! Any info on how it handles? I'd really like to know your thoughts on it.

Old January 18, 2010, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This exciting Cowboy! Way to dive in!

You asked earlier what it's good for (other than folding of course). I currently have a web server that I use to host some friends' sites and stuff, and lately a couple people have actually given me money to host their sites. (Real money!) So I thought that if this hosting thing ever actually turns into something, the 16 core opteron with 16GB or RAM (upgradeable to 64GB) would be a good machine for that. As of now, it's a Q6600 and 8GB of RAM running the show, which is doing a very nice job. In the meantime, my Opteron board is earmarked for folding because I have neither the time nor the inclination to start up a hosting business right now.

Re: EVGA's upcoming enthusiast-oriented s1366 board, which I shall call Skulltrail2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
And it will definitely be more than $500.
I'm hoping for around $800 or less, like a more fully-featured server board. If it's over a grand I will cry like a little girl because I really want one. Seriously, that board with a couple Gulftown CPUs and a few of the higher-end GF100 cards could potentially outproduce my entire folding farm in a single box. That would be a lotta flops in a box!

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old January 18, 2010, 11:09 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
Hey! that's the board I ordered! Any info on how it handles? I'd really like to know your thoughts on it.
It seems pretty good. Some server sort of features. Doesn't OC (but there aren't many dual CPU boards out there that do). I haven't had any stability issues or anything like that with it, but I wasn't expecting any.
Old January 19, 2010, 05:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

Hey guys... I'm having second thoughts about this new build... Don't know why exactly... but its just so expensive :o

Old January 19, 2010, 08:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I hear ya. Dual 1366 is quite expensive. I only spent about $1150 total on my quad Opteron setup, including all taxes and shipping charges. And if you're going to go dual 1366, you might as well get decent chips, like E5520 or better, since the E5506's don't have HT (IIRC), which limits their appeal.

Keep thinking about it though, and keep doing your research. Don't lose hope yet!

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old January 19, 2010, 09:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

I cancelled my order for the board... the startup costs were just too high for me to swallow (even with the help I would be getting from my dad on this). Now I hope I can get my money back for the CPU's I bought. :(

Old January 19, 2010, 02:30 PM
MVP

Yeah, that's one of the main things that's kept me from putting a TON of thought into a dual quad system (and just using gigabit networking to slave my other computer as a render slave in the mean time)