Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2010, 11:01 AM
Banned
F@H

4 stick, I think Martin was not far from the true , did you check on the qualify vendor list, you some memory than can be put on group of 4 . check the voltage requiere by the mem also, with 4 stick, you need some tweaking sometime ,,and did you give a try to the mem ok button.
Old January 12, 2010, 11:02 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
as for your BIOS, unplug the power, remove the battery , short the connector ( use the side of the battery ) I notice sometime with Asus you have to do that after a flash.
P.S. - the Maximus III motherboard has a Clear CMOS button on the back, so this can be done without reaching into the case.
Old January 12, 2010, 11:07 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfielder View Post
P.S. - the Maximus III motherboard has a Clear CMOS button on the back, so this can be done without reaching into the case.
No way ....you have to remove the battery my friend, I try this button many time after Oc failure, and, in any case, it's the same as what I describe.
Old January 12, 2010, 11:07 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
4 stick, I think Martin was not far from the true , did you check on the qualify vendor list, you some memory than can be put on group of 4 . check the voltage requiere by the mem also, with 4 stick, you need some tweaking sometime ,,and did you give a try to the mem ok button.
The memory "should not" be the problem - it is the right type and speed. However, it might be faulty.

I am setting aside the possibility that any of it is not inserted correctly, since the first two were removed and then reinserted, and proper seating of all components and connectors is something I learned to check a long time ago.....

However, that does not mean it is impossible that some of it is not perfect. Getting stuff that is fully or paritally DOA becomes more and more rare each year, but it can happen.....

Not sure what you mean by "with 4 stick, you need some tweaking". I have not read of having to change anything for using 4 pieces of memory, except when overclocking - which I am not doing yet.
Old January 12, 2010, 11:10 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
No way ....you have to remove the battery my friend, I try this button many time after Oc failure, and, in any case, it's the same as what I describe.
Not yet overclocking, but will give this a try, and will try the memOK button as well.

Thanks!
Old January 12, 2010, 11:15 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
The memory "should not" be the problem - it is the right type and speed. However, it might be faulty..
Oh yes they can, unless you thing than me and Martin don,t know what we are talking about

Quote:
I am setting aside the possibility that any of it is not inserted correctly, since the first two were removed and then reinserted, and proper seating of all components and connectors is something I learned to check a long time ago.....
You have to learn to do it right the first time,

Quote:
However, that does not mean it is impossible that some of it is not perfect. Getting stuff that is fully or paritally DOA becomes more and more rare each year, but it can happen.....

It's not DAo , it's working,

Quote:
TNot sure what you mean by "with 4 stick, you need some tweaking". I have not read of having to change anything for using 4 pieces of memory, except when overclocking - which I am not doing yet.
You have to read more,, here , it's full of post about it...
Old January 12, 2010, 05:50 PM
Top Prospect

Tried a few things:
- reflashed the BIOS
- pressed the memOK button
- checked that everything is plugged in and seated OK

It started booting up OK, but hung after a few mintues. A minor improvement, but not a fix

Then pulled out three sticks of RAM, leaving it with 2Gb, and it ran fine. Did swear at me, since the CPU cooler fan I removed to get at the RAM was plugged in as the CPU Fan.

Put in one more stick for a total of 4Gb, and it seems to be running fine.

Possibilities:
1> it does not like 8Gb, even when everything is running stock
2> it does not like 8Gb of DD3-1600
3> one of the two sticks that have been pulled is faulty

I am going to run it as is for a day or two, verify that it really is solid. If it runs OK, will switch the ram and see if it stays stable, and then try to draw some conclusions.

There are comments in the manual about running with four memory sticks:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel
Due to Intel spec definition, X.M.P. DIMMs and DD3-1600 are supported
for one DIMM per channel only
I am not sure what that means to my current situation, since I am running it as DD3-1333, and there are two DIMMs installed on Channel A.

The memory is G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM. These are not listed on the ASUS QVL, but there is lots of F3-12800CL8D and F3-12800CL9D memory listed. The ASUS QVL for this motherboard is old, from last October (which is a few centuries in computer time....). Three of the four entries for G.Skill DD3-1600 are 6Gb three pieces sets! I am referrring to the version of the QVL on ASUS's web site, which should be the latest and greatest.....
Old January 12, 2010, 06:05 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:

Possibilities:
1> it does not like 8Gb, even when everything is running stock
2> it does not like 8Gb of DD3-1600
3> one of the two sticks that have been pulled is faulty
not the first 2 possibility,, you probably not using the good voltage for you memory. Go to the website of your memory manufacturer, check the spec, you will have the voltage need. Enter manually the correct voltage in the bios. what I'm thinking, is may be 4 memories change the load , and the voltage drop under the minimum require by the ram, I"m just guessing, but it will make sense. since everytime someone have a similar problem, an increase in the voltage fix it.

it may be also a defective one

Last edited by MarkOne; January 13, 2010 at 06:45 AM.
Old January 13, 2010, 06:23 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
none of them.. you probably not using the good voltage for you memory. Go to the website of your memory manufacturer, check the spec, you will have the voltage need. Enter manually the correct voltage in the bios. what I'm thinking, is may be 4 memories change the load , and the voltage drop under the minimum require by the ram, I"m just guessing, but it will make sense. since everytime someone have a similar problem, an increase in the voltage fix it.
The package says 1.6V.

I will see what the BIOS reads next time I reboot. That is an interesting idea, but with a 750W power supply I have trouble understanding why the voltage would drop.
Old January 13, 2010, 06:40 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
The package says 1.6V.

I will see what the BIOS reads next time I reboot. That is an interesting idea, but with a 750W power supply I have trouble understanding why the voltage would drop.
the memory voltage are manage by the motherboard voltage regulator , nothing to do with the PSU. You are using for now the ASUS auto regulator, as far as I know, the bios look at the info from the memory to adjust. , this info is in the firmware of the RAM , a small chip on the RAM . when you use qualify memory, I guess Asus check with the manufacturer, if the info in the firmware ,is compatible. When you use non qualify memory, they may be ok, ( they don't have the resource to check all them,) but if they are not, compatible with the auto setting, you have to adjust it your self