Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10, 2010, 03:06 PM
Rookie

Default Gibabyte GA-X58A-UD7 power problems

Iím in the process of building a new system based upon the UD7 and Iíve got some major problems with this so called top of the line mobo.

System setup

Windows 7 64 bit
3x2GB Corsair 1866 memory
Intel X25 SSD 160GB (boot drive)
Nvidia 8600 GT 512MB PCIe
Intel i7 920

Problems

1 When the system recovers from sleep mode the board fires up (leds, fan) however no video. Needs power down after which the system resumes!!

2 When shutting down the system it always restarts, the only way to shutdown is to use the power switch or cut the power. I even ran shutdown from the command prompt.

I tried all manner of bios settings including setting everything to ďsafeĒ.

All latest drivers have been loaded (from the website), Iíve also tried the latest bios (which made the board more unstable) which fixed nothing, Iíve now reverted to version f2.

At present the OS is pretty much in a virgin state, not activated yet so no windows updates applied.

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

BigH
Old January 10, 2010, 03:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

1) Is the board overclocked? I'm assuming not, since you didnt say it was. However if it is, try stock settings first. Alot of (not just GB) boards have issues with overclocking and resuming from S3.

2) What ram profile are you using? If you have it set to XMP or manual 1866, downclock it to 1600 or even 1333 and see if that fixes some stability issues.

Besides that it sounds like a bad board, but who knows with Gigabyte. I gave up on them after my last board and RMA experience. Good luck if it comes to that! Also, please, for the love of god, get rid of that graphics card and put in a real workhorse. That system with that card is making newfies kill baby seals
Old January 10, 2010, 03:53 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the feedback.

I've run the board in various states of overclocking from stock upto 150 (seems stable at 145), I've also run the memory with XMP both on and off. It makes no difference. I take your point about the the video card, I've not got round to speccing a replacement yet. I don't need anything outrageously fast, just quiet and preferably fanless. Any suggestions appreciated. Apart from normal office stuff (no games) the system will be used for video editing HD material, hence that lack focus on the video card at this time.

I can probably live without the sleep mode thing as the boot time is pretty damm fast (those SSD's are good boot drives), it's not been able to shut it down thats hacking me off.

BigH
Old January 10, 2010, 03:54 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Besides that it sounds like a bad board, but who knows with Gigabyte. I gave up on them after my last board and RMA experience. Good luck if it comes to that! Also, please, for the love of god, get rid of that graphics card and put in a real workhorse. That system with that card is making newfies kill baby seals
Could say the same thing about every Asus board I've owned

It definitely sounds like a faulty board to me. Try updating to the latest bios and clear the CMOS. If that don't work I would suggest RMA'ing it.
Old January 10, 2010, 04:12 PM
Rookie

Cheers lowfat, I hadn't the cleared the CMOS and it worked - with both problems.

I suspect something got corrupted when I flashed from f2 to f3 and back again.

BigH
Old January 13, 2010, 12:47 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

think RMA would be the best thing to do
Old January 13, 2010, 01:00 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
Cheers lowfat, I hadn't the cleared the CMOS and it worked - with both problems.

I suspect something got corrupted when I flashed from f2 to f3 and back again.

BigH
Good to hear
Old March 17, 2010, 08:57 AM
Trial Member

I have the same problem, do you think just the Bios clear do?
Old March 17, 2010, 09:02 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfonero View Post
I have the same problem, do you think just the Bios clear do?
when you have a problem with a motherboard...you first clear the BIOS...period