Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10, 2010, 07:43 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Best AMD processor

I am an AMD fan boy and i was wondering what the best AMD chip was for over clocking... currently my AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200 is not satisfying me.. it only went from 2.7GHz to 3.01GHz ... i am looking for 4.0GHz on air cooling.. :-P any suggestions?
Old January 10, 2010, 07:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well it looks like you have an appropriate motherboard that will unlock the 550BE If so, that's a pretty good deal. With a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ you can usually get it unlocked to quad and then overclocked to 3.8ghz..... but there is a chance it won't at all as it's sold as a dual core.
Old January 10, 2010, 07:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would get get a 720BE or a Athlon II 620 Quad Core, but i would upgrade the PSU first.

-Plato
Old January 10, 2010, 08:00 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Well it looks like you have an appropriate motherboard that will unlock the 550BE If so, that's a pretty good deal. With a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ you can usually get it unlocked to quad and then overclocked to 3.8ghz..... but there is a chance it won't at all as it's sold as a dual core.
how would i unlock the quad core capability?
Old January 10, 2010, 04:08 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
how would i unlock the quad core capability?
Your motherboard needs SB710 or SB750, and you enable ACC in the BIOS. If it can be unlocked that would do it.

What's your budget and price range?
Old January 10, 2010, 04:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Err, I believe the 780 series chipsets will unlock as well...

I've unlocked the 550's on a Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P which uses the AMD790X chipset.

But anyway, you change three things (including voltage) in the BIOS and you're off and running.
Old January 10, 2010, 04:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

+1 for the 550BE! Even if it doesn't unlock to a quad, you can usually OC them close to 4GHz as a dual, and that's nothing to sneeze at for a $110 processor. I think it's close to the best bang-for-your-buck processor out there. But you'll need a decent cooling solution on it. The Xigmatek S1283 is a nice cheap option.
Old January 10, 2010, 05:05 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Err, I believe the 780 series chipsets will unlock as well...

I've unlocked the 550's on a Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P which uses the AMD790X chipset.
Yes, but the chipset has to include one of the southbridges mentioned above.
Old January 10, 2010, 05:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ha. Damn. I actually bought that particular mb because others had unlocked it using that particular one. Now I'm curious as to why the southbridge would be related to the unlocking... ?
Old January 10, 2010, 05:56 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Ha. Damn. I actually bought that particular mb because others had unlocked it using that particular one. Now I'm curious as to why the southbridge would be related to the unlocking... ?
Because the southbridge determines ACC support (I'm not sure why since AMD never actually disclosed what ACC is or how it works).