Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 8, 2010, 08:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Is USB 3.0/SATA 3.0 worth going for this early?

So I'm looking at building a new X4 965 Black system, and I'm trying to decide what board to go with. I'm currently tossing up between Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5 and ASUS M4A79T Deluxe. The Asus board has great reviews, and is known to be a solid o/c'er. But the Gigabyte board has USB3.0 and SATA 3.0 for future upgrading. However, the Gigabyte board is lacking a solid review that I can find. (Although, Gigabyte is a pretty dependable company) One other thing, even though it sounds a little ridiculous, is that the all blue colour scheme of the Gigabyte is a huge turn off.

Price wise, the two are so negligible as to be not worth mentioning in the grand scheme of things. And the $200 mark seems reasonable for a higher end AMD board, so I don't feel like I'm being ripped off either way.

So I guess the question is: Do I go with the tried and true? Or is it worth playing guinea pig on a new line of Gigabyte boards? Keeping in mind this is the start of a completely new lineup, with a new BIOS, etc.
Old January 8, 2010, 09:40 PM

My System Specs

I think the Gigabyte board looks great.

Current Sata 6Gbps offerings are pathetic. But the USB3.0 out now aren't bad. But it is up to you if you need the speed from USB or not.
Old January 8, 2010, 09:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yeah, I was thinking about running an external USB3.0 drive for backup at the moment. But I can't really find much of anything that runs SATA 3.0 right now. So that will likely not get used until way down the road; if at all. I'm more thinking it'd be nice to have the future tech, just in case.
Old January 13, 2010, 08:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

SATA 6Gbps is useless right now, since no drive can take advantage of the extra bandwidth (unless you have SSDs on a RAID controller that support SATA 6Gbps).

As for USB 3.0, the current implementation steals PCI-E lanes (along with SATA 6Gbps chip). But the added performance is worth it if you can get your hands on a compatible drive. Otherwise I wouldn't be bothered with it.

That being said, that Gigabyte board is actually an upgrade from the tried and true 790FXT-UD5, which is widely used for pushing Phenom II X4s to 6Ghz and beyond on LN2 in OC competitions (example). Don't let the color fool you, it is a terrific board.
Old January 14, 2010, 05:59 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Right now....Sata 6 is useless. We dont really have any sata 6 capable SSDs out there and HDDs can barely saturate sata 1. Best example is the Seagate Xt 2TB. It still gets its arse handed to it in many situations by the "slower" WD 2TB Black. USB 3 on the other hand has nice kit out there already and should be a nice speed increase with no real down sides.

IF I was looking for a new system I'd remove Sata 6 and USB 3 from the equation and pick which ever board best fits my needs.
IF its the GB....consider S6 and U3 a bonus!
If its the Asus....the U3S6 daughter card Asus has promised will be a cheap future upgrade for you when you NEED Sata 6 and USB 3.

YMMV ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 14, 2010, 02:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
the U3S6 daughter card Asus has promised will be a cheap future upgrade for you when you NEED Sata 6 and USB 3.

Hadn't read about this... Certainly great food for thought. Thanks!
Old January 14, 2010, 02:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
If its the Asus....the U3S6 daughter card Asus has promised will be a cheap future upgrade for you when you NEED Sata 6 and USB 3.
My understanding is ASUS is also making this card aftermarket, and it'll work with any motherboard with a free x4 slot. Can you confirm AkG?
Old January 14, 2010, 03:00 PM

At this point I have no idea Sagath. It in theory it SHOULD work with any mobo, but as it is not out yet I wouldnt want to say yes or no.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 25, 2010, 11:20 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Right now....Sata 6 is useless. We dont really have any sata 6 capable SSDs out there and HDDs can barely saturate sata 1. Best example is the Seagate Xt 2TB. It still gets its arse handed to it in many situations by the "slower" WD 2TB Black. USB 3 on the other hand has nice kit out there already and should be a nice speed increase with no real down sides.

IF I was looking for a new system I'd remove Sata 6 and USB 3 from the equation and pick which ever board best fits my needs.
IF its the GB....consider S6 and U3 a bonus!

YMMV ;)
Which kit are you talking about? I'm looking to pick up an external enclosure that uses USB 3.0.

I read about that PCI-E card, but has it been delayed or something? I think it was announced weeks back and I'm still waiting for the card to be available at NCIX.
Old January 26, 2010, 05:15 AM

The u3S6 has indeed been delayed, BUT if you want USB 3 only there are a dozen or more of em available at places like ncix. They all use the same chip about the only dif between em is the power connector ;)

NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection.