Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   AM3 current and future (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/27498-am3-current-future.html)

matsta31 January 7, 2010 07:04 AM

AM3 current and future

Anyone has any inofrmation about the new AMD chipset and Hexacore release date ?

johnnyblazzwa January 7, 2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matsta31 (Post 313601)
Anyone has any inofrmation about the new AMD chipset and Hexacore release date ?

i'd like to know when the black edition 975 comes out for 200$

Arinoth January 7, 2010 12:51 PM

Anything ground breaking from AMD wont be for another 3+ years

CMetaphor January 7, 2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 313872)
Anything ground breaking from AMD wont be for another 3+ years

Don't start making up stuff. Just ask mr. wiki: Bulldozer (processor) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2011 = Bulldozer, possibly sooner.

SKYMTL January 7, 2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMetaphor (Post 313873)
Don't start making up stuff. Just ask mr. wiki: Bulldozer (processor) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2011 = Bulldozer, possibly sooner.

AMD has been saying Bulldozer is 1 year away for the last 3 years.

Plus, while it may be revolutionary in some aspects, Bulldozer won't bring about any huge leaps in performance.

It looks to be a number crunching monster in highly multi-threaded apps but in order to have 8 physical cores on the 32nm manufacturing process and keep it below the stated 120W maximum (or have they revised this now?) the clock speeds would have to be ultra low. This could make it horrible for typically single or dual threaded apps like many games.

Another issue AMD has is that they are stuck to Global Foundries' manufacturing process. This means if the untried GF 32nm process shows any issues, they will be pushed back. That in itself would be a disaster. Why? Because Intel has already shown that they can effectively produce 32nm chips and will be already previewing Sandy Bridge 32nm architecture this year. Meanwhile, in mid 2011 the 22nm Ivy Bridge (Sandy Bridge die shrink) is due out.

AMD really looks to have something with Bulldozer but they will once again be too late by at least 6 months...

CMetaphor January 7, 2010 01:45 PM

And that's the definition of pessimism.

SKYMTL January 7, 2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMetaphor (Post 313894)
And that's the definition of pessimism.

No. GF themselves annouced that they would only be moving their Dresden fab to 32nm SOI volume production in H2 2010. As is the case for TSMC right now, GF will ramp production in Q1 through Q3 and then begin volume production in Q1 2011. Remember, volume production in Q1 2011 is if everything goes according to plan and doesn't take into account the complexity of producing an 8-core CPU on 32nm.

If you want links to info about Intel's Sandy and Ivy roadmaps, I would be more than happy to post them. :thumb:

I'm going by the facts as they are presented.

kendallcschm January 7, 2010 05:21 PM

... is the bulldozer going to come in the backwards compatible AM3 socket.. i would love to have one in my AM2+ board

Iphikratous January 7, 2010 05:28 PM

Not sure if it would fit, but even if it is AM3 and does fit, I'd doubt it would have the DDR2 controller in it, only DDR3, so it would be useless anyway.

kendallcschm January 7, 2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iphikratous (Post 314070)
Not sure if it would fit, but even if it is AM3 and does fit, I'd doubt it would have the DDR2 controller in it, only DDR3, so it would be useless anyway.

that might be true... unfortunately.. grr... upgrades..