LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2010, 05:38 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
And that's the definition of pessimism.
More like realism. Based simply on past precedence, there's a pretty good chance that the Bulldozer launch won't end up being perfectly on schedule. It's already behind schedule compared to the initial roadmaps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
... is the bulldozer going to come in the backwards compatible AM3 socket.. i would love to have one in my AM2+ board
No. The Bulldozer architecture is completely new and will require a new platform.
Old January 7, 2010, 05:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Don't start making up stuff. Just ask mr. wiki: Bulldozer (processor) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2011 = Bulldozer, possibly sooner.
Wikipedia... One site that's helpful but never fully trust it 100%.

I think Bulldozer will compete well against Intel, but AMD is definitely too slow compared to Intel. With Intel's Tick-Tock, it looks like AMD will have to pull off a miracle or continue to do what they're doing with Phenom II, keeping it in the low and mid-range CPU market.
Old January 7, 2010, 08:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
AMD has been saying Bulldozer is 1 year away for the last 3 years.

Plus, while it may be revolutionary in some aspects, Bulldozer won't bring about any huge leaps in performance.

It looks to be a number crunching monster in highly multi-threaded apps but in order to have 8 physical cores on the 32nm manufacturing process and keep it below the stated 120W maximum (or have they revised this now?) the clock speeds would have to be ultra low. This could make it horrible for typically single or dual threaded apps like many games.

Another issue AMD has is that they are stuck to Global Foundries' manufacturing process. This means if the untried GF 32nm process shows any issues, they will be pushed back. That in itself would be a disaster. Why? Because Intel has already shown that they can effectively produce 32nm chips and will be already previewing Sandy Bridge 32nm architecture this year. Meanwhile, in mid 2011 the 22nm Ivy Bridge (Sandy Bridge die shrink) is due out.

AMD really looks to have something with Bulldozer but they will once again be too late by at least 6 months...
Hate to mention this but ya do remember the intel amd agreement signed recently does make it that AMD can get there chips manufactored by any fab they choose.
Old January 7, 2010, 08:51 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
Hate to mention this but ya do remember the intel amd agreement signed recently does make it that AMD can get there chips manufactored by any fab they choose.
...and that agreement was signed specifically so that AMD can keep manufacturing their CPUs at GF. Where else do you think they would do it? Nobody else other than Intel has the facilities to mass-produce CPUs on the kinds of processes that AMD uses.
Old January 8, 2010, 06:10 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
...and that agreement was signed specifically so that AMD can keep manufacturing their CPUs at GF. Where else do you think they would do it? Nobody else other than Intel has the facilities to mass-produce CPUs on the kinds of processes that AMD uses.
This.

For complex x86 GPUs on advanced manufacturing processes you either have GF or Intel for the volume production which is needed.
Old January 8, 2010, 06:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

so on the high end cpu world, AMD is screwed for the mid term, even if they manage to somehow get bulldozer out quickly, since intel will already be at a level where they can compete if not beat amd.

And, there will be danger in the value level since intel is getiing tho the level.

nice...

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old January 8, 2010, 06:42 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsta31 View Post
so on the high end cpu world, AMD is screwed for the mid term, even if they manage to somehow get bulldozer out quickly, since intel will already be at a level where they can compete if not beat amd.

And, there will be danger in the value level since intel is getiing tho the level.

nice...
It's called an upcoming monopoly. Buy Intel, and you're fueling it.
Old January 8, 2010, 06:48 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I just find it hilarious that when a company develops an IP and then tries to protect it, they get called a monopoly. Granted, some of Intel's practices have been questionable but this doesn't only go for Intel. Rather it seems every company gets called a monopoly when they get big enough.
Old January 8, 2010, 06:51 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I truly doubt AMD is going to die off. They have for most of their existence been in this situation (they were the OC and best bang for your buck cpu's since back in the day for a reason! Hell, Intel released their Celerons to try and compete and couldn't). So they SHOULD by now know how to live on the slim margins mid to low end gives. The X2's was a GIFT handed to them by the gods and they pissed it away. Once they stop trying to regain past glories and get back to their roots they will be fine.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 8, 2010, 06:53 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I just find it hilarious that when a company develops an IP and then tries to protect it, they get called a monopoly. Granted, some of Intel's practices have been questionable but this doesn't only go for Intel. Rather it seems every company gets called a monopoly when they get big enough.
"Questionable practices" lol. The entire market was skewed in their favor through their various schemes. Thats pretty much a criminal act in my book.

But don't listen to me:
“Intel has engaged in a deliberate campaign to hamstring competitive threats to its monopoly,” said Richard A. Feinstein, Director of the FTC’s Bureau of Competition. “It’s been running roughshod over the principles of fair play and the laws protecting competition on the merits. The Commission’s action today seeks to remedy the damage that Intel has done to competition, innovation, and, ultimately, the American consumer.