Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 6, 2010, 01:33 PM
Top Prospect

Mark and Sqeetard...are you talking about the same thing? Load time versus boot time could differ. Boot times on the P4 takes longer than the time it takes to load PS (PS loads a pic fairly quickly on the P4).

Gingerbee - yeah a jump from IDE is going to shock them ;) and I am glad that I won't have to tell Mom...lol

Photo editing are not as intensive as video encoding on the drives. I would think the biggest gain will be seen with a pair of SSDs (one to read from and a separate one to write to) when encoding and a proggy that can use multi-cores. But I suspect this is a subject of another thread so I won't go off tangent here.

I appreciate the input!
Old January 6, 2010, 01:43 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
I"m at home now , It's now booting in 3 sec or may be less ..... I'm a bit a shame to report what I did. ..... it's a new build... no printer was attach to it yet... I just install the driver and link my network one and now it's fast like a rocket.... I guess most reviewer don't install printer drivers too.
Much better. I'm Home too, and with my Main rig folding 100% the PS load time is 4.7 seconds from click to app.

OP, I would seriously stay far from the OCZ platform. If you wish to stay in the family (friends at OCZ, eh?) choose a PCP&C PSU. Also, since your customer has an external platform for back-ups, you could consider using a single 60Gb SSD for OS and apps.

Also, a Northwood 2.4 ES? Damn, those oc'ed like there was no end (ok, they did hit a wall) back in the days...
Old January 6, 2010, 01:45 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
wicked.

I'm tire too Google every thing ...what that's mean
Old January 6, 2010, 01:51 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
Mark and Sqeetard...are you talking about the same thing?...
I was talking about the time you click on the icon and the time you can open a file in PS... but my FS was looking for a printer driver before open................ it's not the first time that happen to me...

how they say it ..... the wyswyg thing
Old January 6, 2010, 01:59 PM
Top Prospect

lol...some have issues with OCZ and some don't. I fall into the later (yes, friends...a shocker I know...). I won't say I buy them 100% but I do lean towards them if I can ;)

Thanks Mark for confirming. I will check at home but I do not recall there being a problem loading PS (maybe different version?). I will check and let you know ;)

Uninstall the problem printer maybe?

My biggest delay is when I use my thumb drive and PS tries to find every photo that might be loaded on it - even if I am not going to use PS (I have to turn off that feature one day).

You do not have to convince me about SSDs. I'm sold and moved in already (heck years ago we would discuss using RAM and a PCI slot as a hard drive). Its just hard to convince others to spend 2-3 times more for a lot less space ;)

Cheers!
Old January 6, 2010, 02:05 PM
Banned
F@H

Mr. Bean ...sorry Snafu..... the problem was that I have no printer driver install. Many software look at the printer driver. so what you see on the screen will be like what you print , wyswyg ( what you see is what you get) especially software like Page Maker are notorious for it

Avantage, a very popular accounting software in quebec. will not even let you look at a screen report , if the printer is not on ( and they accuse MS for it )
Old January 6, 2010, 02:17 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Arrow big changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
are we talking about the black ? if so are you serious ?... gear ? it's not a raptor ... I guess you have an aluminum case with drive screw direct on the case.... I don't ear my black in my case , they are mount on rubber
No. I was talking about adding more fans and the 95W processor. I should have chopped down the quote a bit more.

Snafu,

You better put a cushion under them the first time they use their new PC so they don't break their jaw when it falls on the floor. I'd like to see a post about what you actually get and how your friends like it.
Old January 6, 2010, 02:33 PM
Top Prospect

lol...gotcha. They were tickled pink when they were given the more ram and set the cpu to run at stock speeds so it will be interesting to see what they do. I would have loved to have their 2.4 a few years ago...I think I still have a 3.2ES kicking around somewhere.

Any fan that gets added must be at least 120mm with a mix of quiet and air-flow. Just so there is a nice air flow through the case ;)
Old January 6, 2010, 02:38 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post
No. I was talking about adding more fans and the 95W processor. I should have chopped down the quote a bit more.
ok...it's because everyone complain Black get too hot and they are noisy....

you know when you go to a french forum, from France.. they are very much concern about the power usage . One time I suggest 2 x HD 4890... in xfire.. I get crucified. My fan was for the HD... I have this paranoid habit about heat ...... it's came from the time I was paying $3 k for a 5 mb HD
Old January 6, 2010, 02:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

@markone it just means happy that it's working (fast) for you know ( wicked slang for cool, amazing or any of the above )