Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 6, 2010, 10:02 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

About 3 seconds loading time from the SSD (A-Data 30GB). CS4, Photoshop 64bit.
Old January 6, 2010, 10:09 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
3 sec. ok I get it, let's use the Visa again , always an expense to slow my folding project
Old January 6, 2010, 11:55 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
Mac mini is not robust enough , get some thing more powerful if you want go with Mac. I'm not talking Imac here, I means Mac Pro , Time is money...
Malarky. I know at least three artists who use Mac Minis for this kind of work and they are very happy with them: a portrait studio, a pro photographer, and a painter. One of them still uses a PowePC based Mini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
Mainly for touch-up and editing of shots.
I will look at WD black drive series (what is good about the black drives versus the others?).
Definitely will add fans to the list. I like the antec cases for simplicity - wish the SLK3000B was still around. A decent semi-tower.

They have an external drive back-up system and burn photos to disk.
Do you really want another noisy piece of gear that belches out heat? Startup time seems largely irrelevant. It is a tool in an office; start it up in the morning with all the other tools and turn it off before you leave at the end of the day.

I suggest you get your bud to bring his copy of CS and some work over to your house and load it on your E8400. I bet he will think it's top notch.

Take a stopwatch and see how long it takes to do what he need. (I doubt you will even be able to measure the time he spends waiting for the computer.) Do some back-of-the-envelope calculations based on how much of that work he has to do in a day so get some real understanding of the costs and benefits. Mark is right, time is money. Money is also money. Every dollar you spend on a better PC is a dollar you need to recoup in sales before you start making profit (ie, real money). I do not know your friend's business. If he has more work than he can handle and will have someone sitting in front of this computer all day every day then, certainly, a faster machine will probably make you money fast enough for it to be worth it. If he uses it a couple times a day and only saves a minute or two then it will take years to recoup the investment.

Your question should not be, "what system should I buy for Photoshop". It should be, "what system should I buy to best fit the needs of my (friend's) business".

Old January 6, 2010, 12:28 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post
Malarky.
Do you really want another noisy piece of gear that belches out heat? Startup time seems largely irrelevant.
are we talking about the black ? if so are you serious ?... gear ? it's not a raptor ... I guess you have an aluminum case with drive screw direct on the case.... I don't ear my black in my case , they are mount on rubber
Old January 6, 2010, 12:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
ya i don't know where this PS slow opening came from because it opens wicked fast on both machines that i use ssd's on all the others it's much slower off of and hd. ( 2x 30gb a-data or 2x 64gbfalcon ) my wife uses cs4 way more then me and she see it work on my machines so she wants on ssd in hers edit I just thought about the fact that both people who say it's slow for them are using intell ssd's only maybe that's the problem? doubt it but you never know

Last edited by gingerbee; January 6, 2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old January 6, 2010, 12:47 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks for pointing out the RAM (I wonder where my head is lately): OCZ (OCZ3G1333LV4GK) DDR3 PC3-10666 1333MHz Gold Edition Low Voltage 4GB (2x2048MB) - not overly cheap but I like OCZ (friends work there)

The SSD will have to be added later if hey want faster load times. I figure a 3GB/s drive will stun them enough compared to the old IDE.

CM Centurion 590 looks nice but not available from my supplier

GPU: Asus ENGT240/DI/1GD3/A nVidia GeForce GT240

PSU: Yes a little over-kill but I always over do it on the PSU ;)

Thanks Jack and Mark for the input. Appreciate it. My phraseology was not accurate and in fact I did not mention that the first thing to do is to look at where they are having problems and see if it can be sorted out first. Knowing them though they would like a new computer. They fired off an email this morning saying "I want a new computer and I want you to build it soon".

Their current system is about 4-6 stages back in tech (I lost count) and they got taken in the process: an underclocked P4C 2.4 (ES chip even - how they got it I do not know since they are not overclockers) and only 256MB of ram everything else was just as cheap but they paid a hefty price. It has since been clocked to normal speeds and has 1Gb of ram (board won't take more) and other tweaks to help it run smoother. Boot times were not bad (the last time I was there).

Even PS does not load up too bad on a P4 3.0C system I have at home but it does like its memory!
Old January 6, 2010, 12:50 PM
Top Prospect

BTW if there is going to be more fighting then I am going to go tell Mom!
Old January 6, 2010, 12:54 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

PS CS4 takes about a 1/2 second to open for me. Pops open like a browser window. The loading.... window with all the devs names flashes so fast I can't read it. See my specs VV
Old January 6, 2010, 01:02 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
.....edit I just thought about the fact that both people who say it's slow for them are using intell ssd's only maybe that's the problem? doubt it but you never know

I"m at home now , It's now booting in 3 sec or may be less ..... I'm a bit a shame to report what I did. ..... it's a new build... no printer was attach to it yet... I just install the driver and link my network one and now it's fast like a rocket.... I guess most reviewer don't install printer drivers too.
Old January 6, 2010, 01:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

@markone wicked. and we never fight just strongly disagree ha ha ya if all they have had is ide there in for a surprise