Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 5, 2010, 12:49 PM
Trial Member

Thumbs up Some help with AMD Phenom II X2 550BE unlock please?

Hey everyone! If you didn't know, i built a new computer recently and i used a AMD Phenom II X2 550BE cpu, with an Asus M4A79T Deluxe motherboard. I managed to unlock it, and it boots up with 4 cores. Loads windows and runs perfectly fine... UNTIL i run a stress test. I used prime95 with the blend test, and as soon as i hit go, the system crashes. I didn't modify the bios, and everything is set to default except ACC (auto) and Unleashing mode (On, 4 cores) Any ideas of what i should do? Thanks!
Old January 5, 2010, 01:06 PM
Allstar
F@H

did you disable cool and quite in the bios?
also try to down the multiplicator and do some stress test at lower clock
Old January 5, 2010, 02:08 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

You can try taking ACC off Auto and adjusting it incrementally in both directions. You can also try increasing the CPU voltage slightly, as long as you have a decent cooler and heat is not an issue. Be prepared for a lot of trial and error.

From what I have read, unlocked cores are rarely stable, and even if you can stabilize them you will lose a lot of overclocking headroom. That seems counterproductive to me, considering you have a Black Edition processor.
Old January 5, 2010, 02:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It`s also possible that you were really unlucky and your chip don't want to be unluck. Try to play with option in bios first indeed;)

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old January 5, 2010, 05:45 PM
Rookie

Hey! Thanks for the input. I got home and tweaked the bios a little bit. Managed to run it on 3 cores with everything stock. I've been running prime95 (blend) for about 4 hours now, no problems. Im happy, but I would really like to make it a quad :D Also, i tried to up the voltages a bit. Highest i got was 1.45 for vcore. And cool and quiet is disabled.
Old January 5, 2010, 06:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

put your voltage at 1.5 and unlock it to quad, then run stability for 6+ hours.... if it's stable then up your OC. Most of these processors that I've got a hold of won't unlock to quad without at least 1.475 voltage.... but after that they'll do quad and run at 3.8ghz with voltage at 1.475 to 1.525 in BIOS.

I hope you are running a decent cooler like the Hyper 212+ when you're doing this....

I've always left ACC at auto, I've never messed with it.
Old January 5, 2010, 07:41 PM
MVP

Isn't that a little high in the voltage department, especially for a long-term setting? Even with a good cooler, you're bound to burn out your chip a lot faster than normal.
Old January 5, 2010, 07:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raserei408 View Post
Isn't that a little high in the voltage department, especially for a long-term setting? Even with a good cooler, you're bound to burn out your chip a lot faster than normal.
For a Intel CPU, yes. For an AMD chip, it's fine. Just make sure your temps are good and not at like 70C.
Old January 6, 2010, 12:14 AM
MVP

My System Specs

i'm gonna try this right now with my asus m4a785td-v evo

hope nothing explodes
Old January 6, 2010, 12:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
For a Intel CPU, yes. For an AMD chip, it's fine. Just make sure your temps are good and not at like 70C.

1.475 to 1.525 is a midline voltage. Some people go much higher.

Problem with the temps is that when you open up your 550 to a quad the temp sensors don't work anymore.

My point of view is that EVEN IF THE CHIP WAS TO DIE, to spend $100 on a dual core that will unlock to quad and run at 3.8 for say 2 years is an unreal deal, in my opinion.

I honestly think it'll run 10 years like that, however. I've never seen a cpu die, overclocked or otherwise.

Tags
550be , amd , asus m4a79t , phenom