Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4, 2010, 11:01 AM
MVP

First off a great review!

These do seem like a fantastic HTPC, Workstation cpus but it still isn't enough yet to separate me from my 4.1Ghz E8400 (Oc'd) or even my 3.8Ghz Quad (AMD X2 550 Quad Unlocked) in terms of gaming or general daily use.

If the price is low enough, Linux support is good & general availability is there my new HTPC build may be on it's way.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply
Old January 4, 2010, 11:56 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

As usual I'm waiting a HWC review and as usual I wasn't disappointed. And fair conclusions too

[small rant]
But (as a RealTemp beta tester ) I have something to say about this paragraph:
Quote:
We used Real Temp 3.50 RC6 Beta to collect these temperature figures, but we can't be 100% sure that the results are correct. Temperature monitoring programs don't yet seem to be properly configured for Clarkdale yet, and we occassionally saw sub-ambient idle temps, which obviously doesn't any make sense. Therefore, take these results with a grain of salt.
I spoke with Kevin (RealTemp author) and (in absence of a RealTemp screenshot) he told me this
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclewebb
As far as I know, RealTemp can read the TJMax correctly from these new CPUs. Intel has always had a problem with sensors that are not accurate at reporting idle temperatures. It looks like more of the same to me.
So, my 2 cents here. It's not RealTemp fault that temps are off in idle (you can use CoreTemp too, it should show the same values as RealTemp). New CPU's starting with Nehalem have TJMax value written directly in CPU so no more guess about it.
The basic formula that all software uses for showing core temperature is:

Reported Temperature = TJMax - Digital Sensor Reading

So we know for sure TJMax written by Intel in CPU, we know what on-die sensors shows (digital sensor reading) so temperature is what it is. The only problem for accuracy is that Digital Sensor Reading (or distance to TJMax in Intel terms). It looks like we are back in 45nm era with their wacky slope error or stuck sensors because Intel go cheap (again) on sensors.
So it looks like my general advice is still actual: forget about "old" temperature and rely only on distance to TJMax because this is the only value that dictates CPU thermal behavior (thermal throttle/shutdown). Keep that distance to TJMax >20 and happy overclocking/gaming/rendering/whatever.
Something like this

[/small rant]

Again, congrats HWC for a thorough and right on time review.
Old January 4, 2010, 12:50 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

It's hard to root for the underdog at times like this.
Old January 4, 2010, 01:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Fantastic review SKY! I love your extensive testing and layman explanations (for people like me) as usual. I see no need of an i5-600 series CPU in my desktop's near future. After reading this I may save myself a few bucks and just go for an i3 540 though. Unless people are going to dump i5 750s for crazy prices... anyone... Bueller... Bueller???

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 4, 2010, 01:31 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

It's MAC's review. ;)

Burebista, thanks for the insight. As always, your opinions and observations always bring an interesting perspective.
Old January 4, 2010, 01:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
It's MAC's review. ;)

Burebista, thanks for the insight. As always, your opinions and observations always bring an interesting perspective.
Gah, it should be more prominent, lol (for unobservant people like me ). I just figured it was you because you linked to it. Oh well... FANTASTIC REVIEW MAC!!! Thanks for all the hard work.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 4, 2010, 03:35 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Vey good review, good numbers too, i'm liking what i see.
Thanks MAC (;
Old January 4, 2010, 03:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Great review MAC.

The i3 look like the winner in bang for the buck. I wish Intel come out with a version without a IGP.
Old January 4, 2010, 06:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

dam that is nice overclock at the end 6.57 GHZ.........

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 4, 2010, 09:48 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default re

Nice review

I will try to place myself in an Intel fan, or owner whatever...
;)

If you have let's say a core 2 duo, would you really update for another i3/i5 dual core?
I don't think so, since the core 2 duo is really capable.
It would make sense to update for a quad core, but on the intel side they aren't cheap.
Another thing, I don't like the fact that you pay (for gamer for example) an IGP that you won't use... Yes you have a good masterpiece but still... Price could have been lower.

I really stick with the i3 540, giving great value for the budget gamer.

For a professional desktop using the i3/i5 is a great deal.

Waiting for the real Intel fanboy response...