Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 31, 2009, 02:17 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default DS3L Won't Reatain Manual FSB Speed

Hi guys, got a bit of a problem here and I'd appreciate some help. I've been running my E5200 overclocked on a GA-P35-DS3L, BIOS F8 for about a year now. Recently, it's started refusing to listen to me when I set FSB speeds though it'll keep my preferences for everything else: multiplier, divider, voltages, RAM timings, you name it. The only thing I can think of that might have one this is that one stick of RAM went kaput shortly before this started happening but it's been removed from the system and the remaining RAM has been tested one by one and pass Memtest+. From what I've Googled up though, this has happened to people out of blue as well so I'm a little skeptical that was the cause (though admittely I don't ground myself every ten seconds and move parts at 5cm/hour like I did starting out anymore).

Any ideas? I've tried taking out the CMOS battery and sticking a jumper on there for a while and that did nothing. The board's still in the 3 year warranty period but I got it second hand and it had a Zalman NB heatsink on it when I got it- I asked Gigabyte support and this voided the warranty. So RMAing's out of the question unless I find a stock one and manage to trick them, I guess

Thanks for your time!
Old December 31, 2009, 05:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would try updating the bios but be careful if your board is acting screwy it could brick it. without being able to see how the Board is acting I can't really say. but that is where i would start.

Every time i have had this happen the board starts to act more crazy as time go's on. just my experience. or a bios update solves the problem.
Old December 31, 2009, 01:44 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Flashed F9 and it's still being stubborn! Thanks, though. I'll try swearing at it... !
Old January 6, 2010, 07:42 PM
Rookie

Had the same problem with my board just reset the CMOS by removing the battery, waiting 30 seconds, then putting it back it. Should fix your problem
Old January 19, 2010, 08:06 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Worked when I replaced the battery with a new one. I guess the old one had run it's course. I'm so relieved, now I can OC my new E8400! Thanks for the help, guys.
Old January 20, 2010, 05:24 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I've got the same board and I can't even get my E3110 (Xeon version of E8400) to OC at all now. It used to be running at a very modest 3.33GHz, but since I installed Windows 7, I have to put everything on default settings or it'll crash at post. Tried absolutely everything, so it looks like I'm stuck at stock settings.

Been tempted to upgrade the mobo, but I guess I really don't need to. Would love to have Xfire potential for the future with another 5770.