Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 30, 2009, 01:22 PM
Allstar

Default p57 vs p55?

whats the point of P57 chipset? I read some articles but couldn't figure it out.
Old December 30, 2009, 01:34 PM
Banned
F@H

i tough Intel they remove the p57 of the roadmap
Old December 30, 2009, 01:59 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOne View Post
i tough Intel they remove the p57 of the roadmap
I though that was braidwood
Old December 30, 2009, 02:13 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I'm pretty sure P57 was indeed canceled.
Old December 30, 2009, 02:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

p57 was the braidwood update to P55 iirc, it was canceled. The next update hasn't been announced but I would suspect it will be a USB3 and SATA6 chip, and that will probably include an updated chip for x58 with those features too.
Old December 30, 2009, 02:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
p57 was the braidwood update to P55 iirc, it was canceled. The next update hasn't been announced but I would suspect it will be a USB3 and SATA6 chip, and that will probably include an updated chip for x58 with those features too.
Some boards already have USB3/SATA6 thanks to add-on controllers. So if one really wants one, you can get it already.
Old December 30, 2009, 03:31 PM
Allstar

oh it has? Ok. Isnt there a new chipset coming out with the clarkdales? with an video out on the motherboard?

to above poster

add on controllers kinda suck, having usb and sata 3 on the chipset is much better.
Old December 30, 2009, 03:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLou View Post
oh it has? Ok. Isnt there a new chipset coming out with the clarkdales? with an video out on the motherboard?

to above poster

add on controllers kinda suck, having usb and sata 3 on the chipset is much better.
I know they do, and they eat up PCI-E lanes as well.

And the chipset you're thinking of is probably the H57.
Old December 30, 2009, 03:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Some boards already have USB3/SATA6 thanks to add-on controllers. So if one really wants one, you can get it already.
Right, but those are like you said, Add-In chips, not built into the Southbridge or northbridge for 'native' support. Slight difference, but for Intel its a huge difference. Generally speaking when Intel makes it available in their chipsets that is when companies actually start producing said products with those features. SATA 1.5 is a perfect example of this around the P865 chipset, circa 2003, iirc. Add-in cards were around for nearly 8 months before Intel released it built into the chipset. Then once it was, Hard drive companies released SATA drives very shortly afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLou View Post
That is a totally separate technology called Moorestown, where Intel is moving a GPU on-die with the CPU. It will require its own PCH, which iirc is called Lincroft or Larcroft or something. Edit: Sorry, thats the handheld internet devices SOC intel is working on.

The other one with GPU+CPU was scrapped for the time being, it was called Larrabee

Last edited by Sagath; December 30, 2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old December 30, 2009, 03:59 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Right, but those are like you said, Add-In chips, not built into the Southbridge or northbridge for 'native' support. Slight difference, but for Intel its a huge difference. Generally speaking when Intel makes it available in their chipsets that is when companies actually start producing said products with those features. SATA 1.5 is a perfect example of this around the P865 chipset, circa 2003, iirc. Add-in cards were around for nearly 8 months before Intel released it built into the chipset. Then once it was, Hard drive companies released SATA drives very shortly afterwards.

That is a totally separate technology called Moorestown, where Intel is moving a GPU on-die with the CPU. It will require its own PCH, which iirc is called Lincroft or Larcroft or something. Edit: Sorry, thats the handheld internet devices SOC intel is working on.

The other one with GPU+CPU was scrapped for the time being, it was called Larrabee

uh... dont think so. Im sure that the new 32nm i3 and i5 dual cores have a built in gpu.