Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23, 2009, 08:00 AM
Top Prospect

Default EVGA P55 FTW WITH FOXCONN

just reviewed my board it came about 20 mins ago and guess what a FOXCONN crap on it.

NOT HAPPY AT ALL. tought they got rid of them both at EVGA and you figure NCIX would of depleted there stock.

sounds like another board with another problem. should of listen to you guys and went with GIGA.
Old December 23, 2009, 08:07 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Whats the beef with foxconn sockets? Ive had 2 boards now with that manufacutere with no isssues .
Old December 23, 2009, 08:13 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Do you plan on benching with LN2 and extreme voltages? If not there is nothing to be upset about.
Old December 23, 2009, 08:17 AM
Top Prospect

not really but i do plan on keeping this board for a while.

its like buying a car with a known problem, you will probably trade it in as soon as you can.
Old December 23, 2009, 08:18 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

If you don't intend to set new OC World records using extreme cold setups, then your board / chip will be quite fine.
Old December 23, 2009, 08:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffler View Post
just reviewed my board it came about 20 mins ago and guess what a FOXCONN crap on it.

NOT HAPPY AT ALL. tought they got rid of them both at EVGA and you figure NCIX would of depleted there stock.

sounds like another board with another problem. should of listen to you guys and went with GIGA.
Foxconn redid their sockets, it was only a small batch of bad sockets that went out. Overblown situation across the review sites. As far as I know, EVGA recalled the batches that had the bad sockets anyways. You shouldnt have any issues.

Check the anandtech forums for more info about it, but this has been well rectified, and really was overblown when frontpaged on anandtechs site. Dont worry.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 23, 2009, 08:22 AM
Top Prospect

k tks for the replies.

did not know they fixed the issue. have been in Iowa for last 2 months for military training and got out of the loop.

now all i need is some help with OC to make it around 3.5-3.8 nothing that will make it to much.
Old December 23, 2009, 08:24 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

a few quick changes should get you 4ghz out of your chip no prob. Unless your planning on using the stock cooling dont recommend anything higher then 3.33ghz on it.
Old December 23, 2009, 09:11 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Check the anandtech forums for more info about it, but this has been well rectified, and really was overblown when frontpaged on anandtechs site. Dont worry.
really Anandtech blew something out of proportion and put it on the front page....naaaaa
Old December 23, 2009, 09:18 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
really Anandtech blew something out of proportion and put it on the front page....naaaaa

Funny, I was about to say the same thing.

Even at the 4.7Ghz I was pushing with a certain i5 750 for 2 months straight on TEC cooling, I didn't see any burn on the socket contacts or on the chip. And that little chip was running for ~7 hours per day, every day.