Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23, 2009, 09:34 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

You'd need to be one of those people trying to get into the 8GHz club to really have too much of an issue with the socket..
Plus, eVGA will take care of you.
Old December 23, 2009, 10:31 AM
Rookie

Heh, I see a lot of people saying it's only a problem if you overclock and there are no long term issues...but it's far too early to say what long term issues there are with any 1156 sockets.

One point that's worth clarifying though: Foxconn revised their sockets back in May. There seems to be some confusion about whether there was another revision in October/November; some forum posts allude to this based on information from motherboard manufacturers but for all we know they could have been talking about getting newer sockets after going through the pre-May-revision stock, who knows.

For example, raju posted this at xtremesystems:
Quote:
I've had two vendors come forwards and show me what Foxconn sent them. Foxconn claim the issue was identified in May and that Intel were due to revise their design to rectify. Apprently these were supposed to be sample sockets with the issue and all issues were supposed to be in house in some vendor labs. Since then there have been issues reported on what is supposed to be the revised Foxconn socket (or samples that have gone into the wild on retail boards), so I'm not sure what to believe at this point. What some of the vendors have seens themselves is not centric to an earlier model or revision of socket.
So there may be a revision, or the problem might already be happening with the "revised" sockets.

Foxconn hasn't said much. (I believe they made a statement that they've met or surpassed all Intel specs.)

There's some question about whether the problem is with the socket or the retention bracket. There may be different issues with both.

BTW it isn't necessarily just a problem with the socket burning on extreme overclocks. If you look around at the various motherboard forums you'll find people reporting trouble with not all of their installed RAM being available. Some users fixed it by reseating the cpu. In a couple cases it was reported as due to a bent pin, where straightening the pin corrected the missing RAM problem. There's some discussion in the overclocking forums that it could be due to the motherboard flexing under an overtightened HSF.

Some users have noted a correlation between poor contact (some contacts showing no scuff marks) and the RAM issues, but it could be coincidental.
Old December 23, 2009, 10:36 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writer View Post
Heh, I see a lot of people saying it's only a problem if you overclock and there are no long term issues...but it's far too early to say what long term issues there are with any 1156 sockets.

One point that's worth clarifying though: Foxconn revised their sockets back in May. There seems to be some confusion about whether there was another revision in October/November; some forum posts allude to this based on information from motherboard manufacturers but for all we know they could have been talking about getting newer sockets after going through the pre-May-revision stock, who knows.

For example, raju posted this at xtremesystems:
So there may be a revision, or the problem might already be happening with the "revised" sockets.

Foxconn hasn't said much. (I believe they made a statement that they've met or surpassed all Intel specs.)

There's some question about whether the problem is with the socket or the retention bracket. There may be different issues with both.

BTW it isn't necessarily just a problem with the socket burning on extreme overclocks. If you look around at the various motherboard forums you'll find people reporting trouble with not all of their installed RAM being available. Some users fixed it by reseating the cpu. In a couple cases it was reported as due to a bent pin, where straightening the pin corrected the missing RAM problem. There's some discussion in the overclocking forums that it could be due to the motherboard flexing under an overtightened HSF.

Some users have noted a correlation between poor contact (some contacts showing no scuff marks) and the RAM issues, but it could be coincidental.
Holy crap thats why I sent my asus p7p55D board back for RMA. Some odd reason it decided to only read 4gb out of 8gb after VGA change.
Old December 23, 2009, 11:38 AM
Top Prospect

i have a corsair h50 for it. not the best but hey xmas gift.

forgot that evga will take care of it if any problem for next 3 years.

just having a crappy day and jumping to conclusion to fast. damn snow

so about this OC any idea's?
Old December 23, 2009, 12:06 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

What chip?
Old December 23, 2009, 02:50 PM
Top Prospect

i5 750

seems all are done on the 860.