Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23, 2009, 07:37 AM
Top Prospect

Default EVGA P55 FTW NO CROSSFIRE BRIDGE??

look what i got for xmas.

nice board

i also wanted a 5xxx series video but all the wife could find is 2 5750.

now i need a bridge for it. (or do i need 2)

anybody got any idea where to get them. i live in freddy beach in snowy N.B.
Old December 23, 2009, 07:43 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Don't crossfire bridges normally come with the cards?
Old December 23, 2009, 07:44 AM
Top Prospect

not with MSI anyway
Old December 23, 2009, 07:48 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

You need 1 bridge for 2 cards. All my GPUs came with them, weird yours didnt. NCIX has em either way:

NCIX.com - Buy Powercolor CrossFire Cable Radeon Video Cards - CrossFire Cable In Canada.
Old December 23, 2009, 08:48 AM

come on Zac, you have the board, you know he needs a much longer one than you suggested, notice how long the SLI bridge is that comes with the board, the PCI-E 16X slots are a mile apart on that board. it really is something you should have mentioned in your review as well because it is a big deal...you can't really find CF bridges that long very easily.

i have complained to EVGA about this in the past, i will complain to them about this in the future, and in an upcoming review i have absolutely lambasted them for this crap. it is completely unacceptable to sell a motherboard with PCI-E slots gapped 6 inches apart and not provide a CrossFire Bridge to cover that gap, i don't give a shyt if they don't sell ATI cards or not, it is pathetic and a slap in the face to its customers. it would cost them $0.10 but will cost the end user much more...if they can even find one.

remember, you need a bridge as long as the SLI bridge almost. i think ASUS sells long bridges, but not sure if it is long enough since i don't have the board here.

here is the ASUS link... Crossfire Bridge (Flex) ...don't even want to know what shipping and duty/taxes is going to be. not to mention i can't be certain this bridge is long enough. if it is the same as these ones on E-Bay (here) then it is 100mm or 10cm.

i would also suggest popping into the EVGA P55 forum and see if this topic has been brought up there, someone might have a good source for those boards. HTH

Last edited by 3oh6; December 23, 2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old December 23, 2009, 09:15 AM

ha, never even thought about the length for CF. MSI makes a long one, maybe check ebay or give them a call.

In evga's defence, they dont mention crossfire at all on the box or in the manual. The reason CF is supported is because of the chipset, the board was designed for SLI. You can cut them to pieces for that if you want but I didnt feel it was necessary in my review. If they had crossfire compatible or similar in the board specs then it would be a problem to not include the bridge. We obviously have a different opinion on this so Ill leave it at that.
Old December 23, 2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
ha, never even thought about the length for CF. MSI makes a long one, maybe check ebay or give them a call.

In evga's defence, they dont mention crossfire at all on the box or in the manual. The reason CF is supported is because of the chipset, the board was designed for SLI. You can cut them to pieces for that if you want but I didnt feel it was necessary in my review. If they had crossfire compatible or similar in the board specs then it would be a problem to not include the bridge. We obviously have a different opinion on this so Ill leave it at that.
oh yeah, i know they don't advertise it...and again as i say in the reviews, i understand it. but the fact of the matter is the board supports it, people expect the board to support CF, people will want to run it, and the only way EVGA are going to get pressure to put the $1 part in is from us reviewers, that's all i am saying.

again, wasn't saying you should tear into them like i do, just a quick mention would definitely be helpful for potential buyers, after all, that is what a review is for...not just to advertise the good things, but to alert them to the negatives. a lack of a usable bridge really sucks when your order from NCIX shows up with two ATI GPU's a new board and CPU...and no way to run it

it helps make people aware that they will need to go out and spend an extra $10-$20 on a bridge to run CrossFire, an to plan in advance.

if you live in the states it isn't so bad, just particularly crappy for us up here if you have to order off E-Bay or from ASUS...shipping alone makes it expensive.
Old December 23, 2009, 09:25 AM

I ordered one of those ASUS long bridges before actually, but back then shipping was cheap, like 6 or 7 bucks. Now the only option is fedex at $22, ugh. MSI is the only other manu that I know of that makes a long one. I would just call them and explain the situation to a rep and they will probably hook you up. Or buy a bunch in bulk and open up a store sellin em :P
Old December 23, 2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
I ordered one of those ASUS long bridges before actually, but back then shipping was cheap, like 6 or 7 bucks. Now the only option is fedex at $22, ugh. MSI is the only other manu that I know of that makes a long one. I would just call them and explain the situation to a rep and they will probably hook you up. Or buy a bunch in bulk and open up a store sellin em :P
damn, $22...ouch.

your second idea isn't that bad an idea actually...not really open a store, just get a supply up in here in Canada. not like the demand is going to be much or the profits really anything, but just as a sort of public service. i'll see what MSI can possibly cough up. surprised NCIX doesn't offer one, i bet a quick e-mail to them might be useful.
Old December 23, 2009, 09:29 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

On another note, EVGA p55 boards with the nforce200 chip on them. Will those extra PCI-E lanes with ATI cards for 16x 16x crossfire?