Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2009, 06:40 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Any thoughts on the Rampage II Extreme?

Hi everyone,

I have in my possession, an in the box Rampage II Extreme, that I was originally planning on using to build a workstation. I've been thinking that it might be a bit overkill considering all the overclocking and gaming specific functions, and the killer audio that comes with it.

Am I nuts for using this board in a workstation that likely won't be overclocked and will pretty much never have sound through it? Should I consider trying to swap this for a more workstation suitable board?

Thanks,
Jim
Old December 2, 2009, 06:49 PM
Banned
F@H

I'm using his little brother rampage extreme , only for browsing...in my garage so. it's a very beautifull and sexy board. why would you swap it, you will loose at the end, and you never know what you will fall on.

P
Old December 2, 2009, 06:51 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Well, mostly because it is going to be very overkill for my application. There is also talk of the software I use, being adapted for Nvidia's Tesla processing, which would mean if I had something like the Asus Supercomputer board, I could take full advantage of that.
Old December 2, 2009, 06:56 PM
Banned
F@H

You start the post with my rampage is overkill for my application. an now you need a WS with telsa and nest will be Cuda ...... it's like if you ask is my F 150 is overkill to just carry some load, and you finish by say ; yes but the load is 50 tons. May be you should talk about the software you plan to use first.

Last edited by MarkOne; December 2, 2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old December 2, 2009, 07:14 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Ok, let's try to clarify what I meant. By overkill I mean the fact that it is very overclocking oriented, which I don't need, as well as having killer audio, which I don't need. The software I currently use, will potentially be taking advantage of parallel processing in future releases, so being able to scale to Tesla would be nice.

That said, I understand you're point after thinking about it more, and it appears that I could scale to a 3x Tesla on it, versus a 4x Tesla on the Asus Supercomputer board, so it really doesn't make any sense getting rid of it.

Thanks for helping me realize that.

Jim
Old December 2, 2009, 07:20 PM
Banned
F@H

By the way welcome to the group .

Super Computer and Rampage II are both on the list of my next purchase. I don't need a WS board but it's really sexy. IF you really want go telsa the WS with is cuda capability is the way you should go.... is this rampage brand new never use ?...if so I can be interested

so someone understand me finally

Old December 2, 2009, 07:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

i got the rampage II i will say its a fantasic board
i havent had time to play much with it yet but i did boot @ 224blk on first boot

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram