Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 1, 2009, 10:29 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default GA-MA790FXT-UD5P & Phenom II 965 C3 125W

Quick question that for some reason I can't find the answer for anywhere online...

I have both the Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P board & Phenom II 965 C3 125W on the way for my new build. I have a feeling the bios won't recognize the CPU straight out of the box. Can anyone confirm one way or another?

If I can confirm that it won't recognize, I will pay to get the board flashed before proceeding with the build as I don't have a compatible processor to do so.

Last edited by Syx005; December 1, 2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old December 2, 2009, 12:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

As I do not know much about how the parts interact I have only one question:

Why would a motherboard designed for AMD with the AM3 socket not recognize an AMD AM3 processor?
Old December 2, 2009, 01:15 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

This board was released before this 965 125w revision came out. The updated Bios no doubt has the information to correctly recognize this new revision as that's one of the main reasons manufacturers release bios updates (adding support for new processors).

I've read reviews on other AM3 boards that this new revision was not recognized upon first install (some Asus boards if I recall correctly). Some people even went to the extreme and bought the cheapest compatible processor just so they could flash the bios.
Old December 2, 2009, 02:08 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Oh ok. So the problem is that the mobo may not have what it takes to use that processor eh? That blows!

Well thanks for the answer and I hope someone on here can give you one as well before it arrives
Old December 2, 2009, 04:49 AM
F@H

My System Specs

It will work even with that chip, meaing that you will boot but you'll have to flash the BIOS after to get the full potential out of the chip.

I used that exact board *search for 'Build for my Purolator Driver' *. And a 955, with the board only having an F1 BIOS on it. The board booted, got me into windows etc etc...I just needed to flash the bios before anything was fully compatiable.

Try that, should work.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 2, 2009, 11:38 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for the update ST. I'll give it a shot and update this thread when I have more details.
Old December 8, 2009, 09:05 AM
Top Prospect

I was gonna buy same mobo--but went with newest GA-790XTA-UD5 for the SATA3 and 125-140w compatibility..should have a review in few wks on it with a 965BE
Old December 9, 2009, 06:30 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Soultribunal was absolutely correct. Everything went fine, got the board booted without any problems, installed windows 7, and updated bios. Everything is recognized properly and looks good.

Within the next week I'll be posting pics of my new rig, and after I get it worked in a bit, I'll post my OC results as well.
Old December 9, 2009, 06:56 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syx005 View Post
Soultribunal was absolutely correct. Everything went fine, got the board booted without any problems, installed windows 7, and updated bios. Everything is recognized properly and looks good.

Within the next week I'll be posting pics of my new rig, and after I get it worked in a bit, I'll post my OC results as well.
Heheh yeah, you should see the builds I've done with that board now.
Its a great design, and once you flash The bios its perfect!

Glad to hear it worked out for you,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 15, 2009, 11:32 PM
Rookie

Default RE:

what BIOS version did you update it to? i have the same exact stuff coming for me as-well tomarrow. Is it F6 BIOS that you would update it to, to use with the 965 C3 125W?

thanks! =D