Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 30, 2009, 09:14 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default EVGA P55 FTW Motherboard Review Comment Thread

EVGA hasnít always been known for their motherboards. Rather, their NVIDIA GPUs have always been the bread and butter of the company but that has changed in the last few years. With the advent of their FTW and Classified series of boards, EVGA has taken the reins at the forefront of the enthusiast segment. In this review we take a look at their new P55 FTW.

You can find the review here: EVGA P55 FTW LGA1156 Motherboard Review

Please use this thread to post your questions and comments.

ENJOY!!!

Old November 30, 2009, 09:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That is an amazing review, and such a sweet board. I suspect that there will be a BIOS update to get rid of the clock issue.

One error I did notice was the benchmarks for World in Conflict on the SLI page. It seems to be mistaken for the overclocked processor comparison graph.

EVGA P55 FTW LGA1156 Motherboard Review

Eldonko, nice writing and very detailed, just what I like to see!
Old December 1, 2009, 04:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Awesome. I just told my brother-in-law to buy this board for his P55+watercooling build. He'll be very happy about my choice after reading this review.

As always another win review for HWC. Thanks guys!
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old December 1, 2009, 08:27 AM
Top Prospect

tks just the review i was looking for.

ill put my order in when i get home
Old December 1, 2009, 09:31 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Just to add something to discuss about, I see that you were at 4GHz with 1.35v for the vCore in BIOS, but did you lower your 1.35VTT? I ask this because people planning to OC 24/7 might want to stay closer to Intel absolute max voltages. What I noticed with the Lynnfield is that you can have stability with high VTT and 1.30-1.35vCore depending on your CPU, but if you lower VTT, you'll have to increase vCore dramatically.

I've seen some reports on the Anandtech boards about guys frying Lynnfields (I believe it was a i7 860 and then a i7 750) with VTT at 1.30.

I prefered to stay safe, lower my OC a bit at 3.8GHz, have a bit more vCore and VTT near Intel's spec limit. Temps get much more managable at 3.8 with a fairly standard air cooler anyway. We'll see how it goes as more people upgrade to 1156 cpus.

Food for thought.

Old December 1, 2009, 09:48 AM
MVP

My System Specs

No IDE ports sucks, but is it really a con? IDE and Floppy both deserve to die.

Old December 1, 2009, 10:30 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I was surprised when I went to install my OS on the E655 (almost the same thing as the FTW minus some excessive stuff). I had my spare IDE DVD drive for open bench duty in hands and I just stared at the board... I installed Windows 7 from a USB thumb drive instead, took 15 minutes.

Old December 1, 2009, 10:38 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwik View Post
I was surprised when I went to install my OS on the E655 (almost the same thing as the FTW minus some excessive stuff). I had my spare IDE DVD drive for open bench duty in hands and I just stared at the board... I installed Windows 7 from a USB thumb drive instead, took 15 minutes.
how do you install via a usb drive? it should be faster then a disc so i'm all for setting that up.

Old December 1, 2009, 10:46 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I used this exact tutorial, worked perfectly.

Install Windows 7 From USB Drive/Pen Drive

Old December 1, 2009, 10:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

Dam right.. Zac it's good to see you back in the business bud!!..

Nicely done review, went through every aspect of the board, and overclocked the crap outta it.. For $230 this is a very nice board if you're a mordern PC builder and has no IDE and floppy drives lol..

I guess nowadays you really don't need a floppy drive, Win 7 install without the need of RAID/SATA drivers, flash BIOS with files stored on flash, or straight from HDD.. SATA drives and now cheap..

Well.. if you look at it that way, you only got 1 Con to it.. Still gets a Dam Good Award..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution