Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29, 2009, 04:46 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default computer turns on and off repeatedly

Well I'm stumped.
I get myt PK5 deluxe back from an RMA and installed it and when I power it up it keeps turning on and off.
I unplugged everything and took the board out of the case and stood it alone with just the ram and the fan on it and is still doing the same thing. Do I have to have a hard drive connected and GPU installed?

Heck it can't be the PSU because it worked just fine before with the other board.
This is the motherboard that I couldn't get the second gpu to be recognized on.

Thank you in advance,
Randy
Old November 29, 2009, 05:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Reset CMOS yet?
Can you get into bios?
Old November 29, 2009, 05:41 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I cleared the CMOS after I pulled the board so I will have to install the GPU and such again outside the box and see whats going on.
When I first installed the board It would not even run long enough to get the system to post. It won't run for more than a couple seconds and then it just keeps recycling over and over.
Old November 29, 2009, 08:59 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Ok I've been screwing around with this for a while and no results.
I removed the board from the case and set it up on a cardboard surface. I took everything off the board and re-installed the CPU and Zalman heatsink.
I plugged it in and used a remote switch on the two leads and turned on the system. I get a steady green light fans power-up and then a second later it powers down, Re-starts and then off. Over and over again. So that tells me the power switch is not the problem on the case. I cleared the CMOS and installed one hard drive and one gpu. Fired her up again and still the same problem.
I hooked up a buzzer on the board just to see if I would get any codes but nothing.
Like I mentioned before I can't see it being the PSU as it ran fine before I RMA'd it, the only issue there was a dead pcie slot.
So there you have it. I'm stuck.
Old November 29, 2009, 10:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds like your boards still messed. No other hardware to try (CPU/RAM)?
Old November 30, 2009, 06:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm not sure how to check the CPU. I took all the ram out and tried one stick at a time and no luck.
To be honest after a good nights sleep I'm almost considering parting this thing out. I've been screwing with this motherboard long enough.
Sorry just ranting. ASUS didn't have to RMA my board as is it was no longer under warranty so I was happy about that part but you would think they would test the bloody thing make sure it did infact have no problems before leaving the shop. It's not my original board that they sent back to me.

Last edited by Randyman; November 30, 2009 at 06:44 AM.
Old November 30, 2009, 07:27 AM
HaDeS

I wonder if a bent pin on the cpu would cause this? It's pretty weird though Randyman as I personally haven't had this problem in the past. Is this your post as well?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/24...t-beeps-deluxe

and yet another unhappy user

Do NOT buy Asus P5k Deluxe - Page 4 - PCSTATS Forum
Old November 30, 2009, 09:51 AM
MVP

Try booting with no ram in ...see if it complains about it (beeps). Almost sounds like it can't set proper voltage for the ram.

My P5B Deluxe use to turn off..turn on. Would have to put in some generic ram..set volt (Team Xtreem 2.0-2.2V)..then put the other ram in. After that it would boot fine, time after time.

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy
Old November 30, 2009, 10:56 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDeS View Post
I wonder if a bent pin on the cpu would cause this? It's pretty weird though Randyman as I personally haven't had this problem in the past. Is this your post as well?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/24...t-beeps-deluxe

and yet another unhappy user

Do NOT buy Asus P5k Deluxe - Page 4 - PCSTATS Forum
No those are not my posts. I have never had this issue before now and I would never black ball ASUS.
I'm a little ticked off that they didn't check the board before it left but perhaps it did work and something happened along the way.
This is the first board of many that I have bought from them and the first one to have an issue with.
Old November 30, 2009, 11:05 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionRed View Post
Try booting with no ram in ...see if it complains about it (beeps). Almost sounds like it can't set proper voltage for the ram.

My P5B Deluxe use to turn off..turn on. Would have to put in some generic ram..set volt (Team Xtreem 2.0-2.2V)..then put the other ram in. After that it would boot fine, time after time.
Yes I did just what you suggested last evening and it didn't help, I'll try it again.
I'm really trying not to spend anymore on parts for this thing but it's looking like I may have too.
If it is the board at least it will be cheaper replacing that for now rather than building a whole new rig.
I wish I could upgrade the rig but perhaps later.