Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 26, 2009, 02:11 PM
Rookie

Default 860 MoBo Choice - Need Some Opinions

Hi,

After reading a lengthy seven page 860 vs 920 debate over at Bit-Tech I've finally been convinced to go with the 860... now I just need help choosing between two MoBo's that I've picked out.

MSI P55-GD80 - $190 (after $31 deal, another $20 if I grab a W7 combo)

ASUS Maximus III Formula - $210 (after $65 cpu combo)

My initial thought was to go with the Maximus III as it looks like a damned good board, but my main issue (and I still haven't found anyone who can confirm/deny) is that I have a Prolimatech Megahalems CPU cooler with two 120x25mm fans and that it might interfere with possible future RAM upgrades. I've had a few people speculate, but unfortunately it's gone both ways and no one seems to have this cooler on this board to confirm or deny.

My second choice (maybe first now) is the GD80 because I've seen some really good reviews on this, and I see after reading the review here that MSI has fixed the BIOS/Software problems. Also saw in that review that there is ample room for large heatsinks like mine.

So I'm hoping some people have opinions on these two boards. Again the heatsink is a big issue for me, but it seems only in regards to the Maximus.
Old November 26, 2009, 03:00 PM

I'm rocking a GD80 and I love it.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old November 26, 2009, 03:13 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

What about EVGA FTW or Classified?
Old November 26, 2009, 03:32 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
What about EVGA FTW or Classified?
Well I've considered it. The Classified doesn't seem for me; it's the price of a mid-upper end x58 board. If it's anything like the x58 version it's probably for people with an i7 870 trying to milk everything out of their computer they can. I've considered the EVGA FTW 200 but I don't see why it's worth the price. Seems like it's extra cash just for the ability to 3x SLI which is something I can honestly say I have no plans of ever doing on a P55 board. I don't mind splurging a bit if it's worth the money... but I'd need someone to tell me why it's worth that much.

Just for reference, on newegg.ca those two mobos go for:

EVGA FTW 200 - $300 (after combo)
EVGA P55 Classified - $364
Old November 26, 2009, 03:40 PM

What about the regular FTW? Same as 200 except dual SLI and its $50 cheaper. My review goes up tonight or tomorrow, you should take a look.

Comes down to brand pref really, as the max 3 and gd80 are also good boards.
Old November 26, 2009, 03:55 PM
Rookie

Quote:
What about the regular FTW? Same as 200 except dual SLI and its $50 cheaper. My review goes up tonight or tomorrow, you should take a look.

Comes down to brand pref really, as the max 3 and gd80 are also good boards.
I guess I'll wait for your review to order. How much clearance did the heatsink in your review have before the first memory slot? TRUE seems to be a good reference for a Megahalems to see if there are issues.
Old November 26, 2009, 03:57 PM

I used a 775 waterblock, apogee GT. It has a pretty big mounting plate so I would guess an air cooler would fit..
Old November 26, 2009, 09:36 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
I used a 775 waterblock, apogee GT. It has a pretty big mounting plate so I would guess an air cooler would fit..
How did you get your apogee GT to fit on a p55 board? im very very interested to know how as I have a GT and and a GTZ i cant use because i cant figure out how to get the bloody thing on. Also how are your temps?
Old November 27, 2009, 06:01 AM
Rookie

Well chances are I'm gonna go with the GD80. MAC on here tested the Maximus + Megahalems and it would end up resting on top of any RAM I put into that first slot. I've heard from some other people the room between the cpu and memory slots on the FTW is pretty small too, so I guess that's out.

If the GD80 doesn't work really my only choice would be to try and return the Megahalems, which is something I really would rather not have to do.
Old November 27, 2009, 07:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Megahalem end on the ram on most or every P55 board XD, don't know why intel move the CPU socket a little to be near the ram in the initial design. You will have the same issue with the GD80 if you plan to put a Mega on it. but, it's a pretty high cooler, for standard ram it will fit over the memory. That's the cooler I use with a GA-UD4P OTW, just killed my UD3R XD push it to the limit yeah! with my G.skill trident I have to use the channel B but, I have just put y fan about 1CM higher ( for front fan ) and put my ram in channel A, no difference on cooling and my ram is where she is suppose to be. I will post a pic in about a minute to show you. You can use a better clip instead of tie-wrap at all...but I am lazy so. You argument is invalid sorry dude. Personally I wold go for the EVGA.
NCIX.com - Buy EVGA P55 ATX LGA1156 DDR3 SLI CrossFire 3PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 2PCI Sound GBLAN Motherboard - 132-LF-E655-KR In Canada.

Actually the memory is in the B channel to show you that she can go under my fan but normally she stay in channel A. The Megahalem is one of the best out here so keep it just pu the fan a little over:P
Attached Images

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Last edited by martin_metal_88; November 27, 2009 at 07:10 AM.