Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 22, 2009, 03:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ah an h50 them 920 put out a little too much heat for them i think what's your load temps at
EDIT i5 are quads they just don't have hyper threading
Old November 22, 2009, 03:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

While I don't think it's your main concern for overclocking, your idle temps seem high. Are you sure you're getting good heatsink contact? My own 920 idles at around 35-45*C, and it's at 4.5GHz. It's on a good watercooling system, but that doesn't usually make a huge difference for idle temps. It's possible that you're using too much or not enough thermal compound.

Your latest screenshot looks safe enough, I'd say. It should be obsolete long before you have any troubles. I'd still be curious what sort of temperatures you get under full load with something like Prime95 v25.9 or similar.
Old November 22, 2009, 03:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

same here 38c to 40c on all cores good water cool loop loads at 76c max ( that's the highest i have every seen )
EDIT this is just one review but it does not seems to handle the i7 too hot ha ha not like it's bad in any way. these chips just run hot Corsair Hydro Series H50 CPU Water Cooling Kit Review - Results, and a "What If" Scenario - Legit Reviews
Old November 22, 2009, 03:36 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Honestly, even with the H50 being an overpriced POS, those idle temps are high. I can just imagine what your 1hr Prime95 temps would be. High idle is bad, high 100% usage temps can cause thermal throttling (something you want to avoid).

Id yank the H50, clean off the TIM, apply some MX-2 and remount it. See if the temps are better....then drop another fan onto the H50 to help it out. I assume your pushing the hot air OUT your case right?

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 22, 2009, 04:10 PM
MVP

My System Specs

the temps are high... did you try increasing the bus speed??
Old November 22, 2009, 04:56 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Honestly, even with the H50 being an overpriced POS, those idle temps are high. I can just imagine what your 1hr Prime95 temps would be. High idle is bad, high 100% usage temps can cause thermal throttling (something you want to avoid).

Id yank the H50, clean off the TIM, apply some MX-2 and remount it. See if the temps are better....then drop another fan onto the H50 to help it out. I assume your pushing the hot air OUT your case right?
With idle temps like that I would be fairly confident that even 10mins of linpack would push it close to 100c.
Old November 22, 2009, 05:45 PM
HaDeS

whats the h50 rated for anyway?
Old November 22, 2009, 06:22 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDeS View Post
whats the h50 rated for anyway?
NOT enough :)~

Its based on a mediocre Asetek design. Asetek rock at some things....integrated pump and water blocks w/ single bay rads are NOT one of them.

Good enough for dual cores....maybe a lower TDP quad but an high OC'ed 920 is pushing it way past its limits.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 22, 2009, 06:49 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
While I don't think it's your main concern for overclocking, your idle temps seem high. Are you sure you're getting good heatsink contact? My own 920 idles at around 35-45*C, and it's at 4.5GHz. It's on a good watercooling system, but that doesn't usually make a huge difference for idle temps. It's possible that you're using too much or not enough thermal compound.

Your latest screenshot looks safe enough, I'd say. It should be obsolete long before you have any troubles. I'd still be curious what sort of temperatures you get under full load with something like Prime95 v25.9 or similar.
The H50 Comes with paste allready applied on... Hmm maybe its just crappy paste

Brought...
Tick - Intel Core i7 920
Tick - EVGA X58 SLI LE Intel X58
Tick - Corsair 850W HX PSU
Tick - Corsair 12gb Ram 1666MHz
Tick - Corsair H50 Water Cooling
Tick - Corsair 800D Case
Tick - WD 1TB Hdd WD1001FALS
Tick - NZXT Sentry LX (Fan Controller)
Tick - Razer Diamondback, Mouse
Tick - Razer Lycosa, Keyboard