Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 7, 2009, 08:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yes these Evga X58 Boards are extremely slow to Post....my older Vanilla board was 20 sec from power to "Beep Post"....my Classified 759 Board is the exact same thing..about 15 - 20 Sec from power on to Post. Its just the way it is.
You can speed up the boot Process by disabling the JMicron Controllers in BIOS, provided you don't have anything plugged into your Jmicron SATA Ports (the red Colored ones)!

Quote:
sometimes from a cold start (i.e. computer was off all day while i was at work) the computer won't post at all... it wouldn't beep, it would just sit there with no video output and with an error code on the MB LED that i was too impatient to read. i just flipped the switch behind the PSU to off and on, then tried powering up again which worked. if not for the 15 second delay waiting for post... WTH!
^^^ The issue your having is called a "Cold Boot" .......very common on the Evga X58 vanila Boards. My first Board suffered this..drove me nuts!! As you said, hit the power button and nothing, fans spin up etc but no Boot. You'll notice that during this process you Power LED and HDD LED will not stay lit up, although Fans are spinning and Board is lit up.
The only way to cure this was to power on / off the PSU, then it will Post 100%...very odd!

I wasn't sure if it was my PSU or my Mobo, so I RMA'd the Corsair HX 1kW and "stepped-up" the Vanilla board to the Classified Board. Since I rebuilt this rig some 6 months ago with the new PSU and Classified board I have never saw this Cold Boot again.
An email was sent to me from Evga stating my Mobo CPU socket had bent pins...that could have been the culprit....if you decide to rip your Rog apart..pull the CPU and check your pins. Other than that, contact Evga and arrange an RMA.

Old December 7, 2009, 10:39 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the input

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Yes these Evga X58 Boards are extremely slow to Post....my older Vanilla board was 20 sec from power to "Beep Post"....my Classified 759 Board is the exact same thing..about 15 - 20 Sec from power on to Post. Its just the way it is.
well what can i say. this is my first evga board and i can't believe that they are all like this. why would i RMA with evga if everything else takes 15secs to start post anyways. i feel shafted because one of my goals with this system specifically was the boot time.

tell me something to make me keep this board >_< even though its against my better judgement. and i'd still have to RMA to get rid of "cold boot" lol.

p.s. what is this vanilla board?
Old December 7, 2009, 10:41 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbzastava View Post
(ugh i wish i knew how to quote in this forum)
^ i figured it out btw
Old December 7, 2009, 10:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

"vanilla" refers to the Evga X58 model 758 Board (original one)

When I said to consider an RMA it wasn't because of the slow Post, it was because you described the "Cold Boot" issue...of which thier is no fix..hence the RMA.

FYI....if the slow Post bothers you that much simply use the S3 sleep mode function.

Old December 7, 2009, 11:28 PM
Rookie

yes i was considering sleep mode as well... until i found out windows 7 has a hell of a time just getting that to work. that's another issue i've been looking into. if that points to the MB as well then i think you've told me enough to warrant an RMA.

thanks for all the help
Old December 8, 2009, 10:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ Did you try either S1 / S3 or both "sleep modes" ? Also, what BIOS version are you using...as in some cases the latest BIOS may fix any S1/3 sleep mode issues.
As for the Cold Boot issue...which PSU are you using and what are your System Specs...does it Cold Boot even at "stock speeds" (no OC)...FYI, when I had the Cold Boot issue it would Cold Boot even at Stock Speeds.

Old December 8, 2009, 11:39 AM
Rookie

so i setup the S3 sleep mode, and it worked... at the time. i decided to hibernate the PC overnight to see if i got the same cold boot problem, and it did it wouldnt come out of hibernate. power button same cold boot issue. had to flip the PSU to get it going again.

called evga and tech support said "Umm try the bios update" which i said did not address this issue but he claims will fix it. so i'm gonna try that tonight. keeping fingers crossed...
Old December 8, 2009, 12:25 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
^^^^ Did you try either S1 / S3 or both "sleep modes" ? Also, what BIOS version are you using...as in some cases the latest BIOS may fix any S1/3 sleep mode issues.
As for the Cold Boot issue...which PSU are you using and what are your System Specs...does it Cold Boot even at "stock speeds" (no OC)...FYI, when I had the Cold Boot issue it would Cold Boot even at Stock Speeds.

S3 works just fine with the bios that came with the MB. However there is a newer bios i will be trying tonight.

And yes Cold Boot issues at stock settings.

System:
EVGA x58 SLI LE
Intel Core i7-920
Antec Earthwatts 750W PSU
6GB Cruicial Ballistix PC1600
128GB Samsung Gen2 SSD (for OS)
1.5 TB Samsung green something or other (storage)
EVGA GTX 260
Old December 8, 2009, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Do a Search as well on the Ega Forums, thier were a number of PSU that were not compatible with the Evga X58 Board. thougt to be causing the Cold Boot problem....although my HX 1kW was listed as compatible yet I experienced the problem!

Old December 8, 2009, 06:08 PM
Rookie

yes i remember you saying you sent yours back. though the fact that you RMAed the PSU at the same time as changing your mobo, it kind of defeats your experiment. i'm an EE, imo the PSU component is too simple of a device to be so finicky with motherboards. but as suggested, i will be chcking the evga forums =)

thanks again