Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 18, 2009, 08:47 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default ASUS Maximus III Formula Review Comment Thread

P55 motherboards come in all shapes and sizes while retailing for prices that are sure to fit anyone’s budget. On one end of the spectrum we have the budget friendly, basic products while on the other there are the high-end, feature rich enthusiast boards like the ASUS Maximus III Formula. This board looks to offer everything an overclocker could want and them some.

You can find the review here: ASUS Maximus III Formula LGA1156 Motherboard Review‏

Please use this thread for your questions and comments.
Old November 18, 2009, 09:13 PM
Allstar

Hey, I just picked one off these up. very peerrty.. hehe

Anyway, had 2 questions for ya'.

I noticed the soundblaster card only has 1 mode: entertainment. I recall their being audio creation, gaming, ect and other modes being included in the software.

Also, on the red glowing ROG logo was there anything protecting it when you took it of the box? (plastic covering or something) Mine had a few scratchies on it.

thanks
Old November 19, 2009, 04:22 PM
Allstar

Would the reviewer mind answering my question please?
Old November 19, 2009, 05:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

Pretty good review there from MAC.. That MSI board still is strong out there, Asus tried well...

Great stuff MAC daddy :p
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old November 19, 2009, 06:17 PM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLou View Post
Would the reviewer mind answering my question please?
Sorry about that.

With regard to the SoundBlaster question, I don't remember exactly, but I'll see if I can find time to reinstall the board and check that out again.

There was no plastic covering on the RoG logo and it was not scratched though.
Old November 19, 2009, 06:26 PM
Rookie

Great review MAC I especially like the part on "Hardware Installation" on how close the heatsink are with ram and card, and the angle the shot was taken just make this point. Lots and lots of reviewers tend to leave this part out. I see effort throughout the way you find the motherboard.

Again great review
Old November 19, 2009, 07:17 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
Sorry about that.

With regard to the SoundBlaster question, I don't remember exactly, but I'll see if I can find time to reinstall the board and check that out again.

There was no plastic covering on the RoG logo and it was not scratched though.
Thanks

Yah, I looked it up on Wikipedia and the xfi MB software seems to be only entertainment mode...
Old November 19, 2009, 09:35 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I was leaning towards one of these but the foxconn socket issue I don't like. Even worse so far from what I've read on the ASUS forums they won't even look at you if you have problems from OCing. Strange since the board is marketed for OCers. Too bad because I would have wanted to give it a shot but I'm hooked on EVGA if not just for the fact I feel safer buying from them.

Old November 19, 2009, 11:28 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtGF View Post
I was leaning towards one of these but the foxconn socket issue I don't like. Even worse so far from what I've read on the ASUS forums they won't even look at you if you have problems from OCing. Strange since the board is marketed for OCers. Too bad because I would have wanted to give it a shot but I'm hooked on EVGA if not just for the fact I feel safer buying from them.
True, Asus support is just a bunch of drones... Only company with decent tech support is EVGA imo. The foxconn socket issue I doubt will effect you unless your trying to set world overclocking records. I got my i5 750 to 4.3 ghtz on this board 100% stable. and 4.5ghtz not stable but it will boot into the OS. Its a great OCing board.

Also, the review missed a few things. the "speeding hdd sata ports" (dum name) do HARDWARE Raid. With my 2x 500gb samsung f3's I get 170mb per second read speeds. Also, it comes with a free 1 year of kaspersky anti-virus. I'm still kinda peeved about the sound card thing though only having entertainment mode... Atleast, to my knowledge.

Last edited by BobbyLou; November 24, 2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old November 25, 2009, 01:19 AM
Associate Review Editor

The 'hardware raid' that you speak of is via the JMicron controllers, which are found on pretty much every decent P55 motherboard. They do work pretty well though!