Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 10, 2007, 12:22 PM
Rookie

Default How do disable certain core on core2duo in bios P5K

For some reason this morning my core2duo 6320 seem to have losts is core#1..it only show core#0 in TAT and the second core show -- where it should normaly show the temperature.
CPU-Z show 6320 but 1 Core in the field where it should tell that there is #2..

and ctrl+alt+del only show that I have one core in task manager and Performance.

I know I have changed my overcloacking from 3.1 to 3.2 and everything was working fine but seem I have killed one of the core.

I know there is a way to disable certain core but I can't seem to fine the correct bios config for this.

I am using a asus p5k-Deluxe and I was wondering if anyone knows the name of the config to disable certain core in the Bios?

Tonight I will try to remount the cpu and I will test another cpu to see if the problem occure on other cpu I have here this could point to a ****** up mobo..I hope not.

Thanks in advance
Old September 10, 2007, 12:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Maybe try a CMOS clear?? That is very odd.

Also try to see if the second core is disabled in the BIOS. But that should be fixed by a clear Cmos...

Last edited by turtletrax; September 10, 2007 at 01:19 PM.
Old September 10, 2007, 02:30 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post
Also try to see if the second core is disabled in the BIOS.
Ya that's what I am looking for whats the name of those bios options to disable core?

It's not like asus would name there options:

Disable Core : [1] On [2] Off [3] N/A [4] N/A
It would be way to simple they have to use some special technical words..any one know what technical world would be used in the bios of the option to disable certain core?

and I will try a CMOS reset tonight and I will see

Thanks!

Last edited by neurobashing; September 10, 2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old September 11, 2007, 09:38 AM
Rookie

Ok, I did a CMOS reset last night and still only show core 0 on my E6320...and since I have a Q6600 I did a quick swap of cpu and booted in windows and still only core 0 show in core temp..or tat then I restarted and did a bios reset to default for beta 0501 and still no show core 0 is the only core any apps can see.

So I re-installed windows XP SP2 and less then 1 min I got error unable to copy driver.cab..retry failed so I hit skip..after 30min I am back in windows add cpu-z coretemp and tat and for god sake still the same damn problem.

At this point it's possible the windows install I did don't contain the HAL driver to support multi core..could this be the problem?

If you don't have the HAL update will windows only show core 0?

And last question is there any bootable or live cd that would have multi core support by default so I could just boot the cd and see if all the core are available like a benchmark live cd of some sort..if anyone knows if that kind of live cd exist please let me know where I could download it.

Just looking for a quick way to see if it's a windows(HAL) issue or hardware whitout the need to re-install windows..
Old September 11, 2007, 10:02 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Does it show two cores in perf manager tab in task manager?
Old September 11, 2007, 10:22 AM
Banned
F@H

look for "Core Multiplexing" in bios, and then check that your boot.ini is not disabling the cores within windows.
Old September 11, 2007, 12:07 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Does it show two cores in perf manager tab in task manager?
No it only show one core using my E6320 or my Q6600..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
look for "Core Multiplexing" in bios, and then check that your boot.ini is not disabling the cores within windows.
Humm I am pretty sure that options is no there I am using a P5K-Deluxe motherboard from asus. Could there be another name for that?

I will have a look at the boot.ini tonight but what I am looking for in that .ini file?
Old September 11, 2007, 12:12 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

You can check the boot.ini but Im not sure how a fresh install would be disabling a core. You are looking for /numproc=1 in boot.ini, if you have that switch delete it.
Probably something in bios, but what Im not sure..
Old September 11, 2007, 01:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default last resort

have you tried the asus helpline. I could not get XP to install due to power-management issues...They guided me through the correct bios options and i had to make a LOT of changes to get it to load ok. I then undid the changes int he bios after it loaded.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old September 13, 2007, 09:34 AM
Rookie

Thanks for all the reply It was the driver from in device manager computer that was single cpu support did a driver update to multiprocessor and it works like a charm for my 6320 and my q6600 thanks a bunch!!

Now what kind of cpu+mem stress software exist for quad core? Orthos dosen't support quad from my last night test and tat is only for C2D.

Is there software that can stress ram+cpu for quad core?