Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7, 2009, 05:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default ASUS High End Boards

Hi Guys,
Just wanted to know if the boards like the ASUS Maximus 111 Formula are worth thier expensive price.
Are they more for the overclockers or heavey gamers?
Old November 7, 2009, 05:30 PM
Top Prospect

My last two builds have been with Asus Pro-series boards, they have been great for any overclocking and gaming I have done. Quite a big price difference between them and the Deluxe versions, let alone the high-priced Maximus and ROG-series. If you have the bucks and don't mind spending it, then go for it, the Maximus is a beautiful board. But the money I saved goes towards my other parts which really help my performance, like SLI.
4G GSkill DDR3 2000 Ripjaws
Asus P7P55D-Pro
2x EVGA GTX275 in SLI
PC P&C 750 Silencer
Cuda 500
Antec 902
W7 64 RTM
Old November 7, 2009, 10:42 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't say that the super-high-end boards are quite worth the price, but ASUS boards in general are excellent. I've personally owned probably about a dozen of them and they've always done me well. I tend to use the more reasonably-priced models (like my current P5Q Pro), and by and large they do just as well as the super-expensive versions as far as overclocking and tweaking go.
Old November 8, 2009, 09:09 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Ok thanks guys. Something else that I have wondered about is bottlenecks. How do you go about building a system and eliminating the bottlenecks? How do you identify the proper components to use in relationship to each other to get that great performance?
Sure I can build a system but to be honest I just pick items that get good reviews and look to be what might be good to use.
I find I get asked alot about how much I want to spend or what I'm going to use my sytem for and really I have no one specific thing I will do with the system. I am a mechanical engineer by education but I also use alot of Graphic applications when doing my airbrushing on Bikes. For example I will take several pictures of a guys bike and then do all my drawings on the bike before even picking up a brush so the client can see exactly what he is getting.
I like to do online gaming also and a few other things so I'd just like to build something that kicks ass in all those areas.
Old November 8, 2009, 09:27 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman View Post
Something else that I have wondered about is bottlenecks. How do you go about building a system and eliminating the bottlenecks? How do you identify the proper components to use in relationship to each other to get that great performance?
There will always be bottlenecks, since there will always be at least one component that limits your ability to run things any faster. The only way to minimize bottlenecks is to analyze what kinds of tasks you plan on doing with your computer, find out which components and speeds make the most difference to the performance of those tasks, and configure your system around that. You just have to do the research.
Old November 8, 2009, 11:46 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Ok thanks for the reply, Thats the info I was looking for.
Old November 8, 2009, 11:59 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

The RoG boards have always seemed a bit pricey to me, usually they have a middle range model that has most of the important features, but no fluff for a lot less.